It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

nuttygirl HB User
9 yr old son

He's always been sensitive. We don't yell in our house so if something serious happens and I freak out and raise my voice he starts crying and runs to his room. Even if I am just firm with him the tears start rolling down his face and he apologizes for crying. He has also always been very good, well behaved, but this year in 3rd grade he has been getting into trouble, talking mostly and not staying on task. He loses his words alot when trying to explain things to me and can become very argumentative but not in a disrespectful way. More of a trying to defend himself manner or explain something but it comes off as arguing. He does this with everyone. He has also always been so honest, I always knew he was telling me the truth but lately he been lying about little things. Lying is one thing I do not tolerate from any of my children. I'm just at a loss as to what is going on with him. He seems happy and is active, has friends, does regular kid stuff but the changes in behavior worry me. I am recently remarried and think that may be the culprit. My husband and I lived together for 2 yrs before marriage tho and he has 4 kids of his own who my son loves and treats like siblings. Should I take him to counseling? I'm really lost here lol.....thanks for advice

Old 04-28-2007, 03:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User
Re: 9 yr old son

I know children at his age to be very changeable and unstable. Be patient. Try to make him see that he is important. Engage him to do light (but manly) chores around the house. At the same time, however, I think he may be in need of - rather than a counsellor - his father. Isn't he available?

Last edited by pendulum; 04-28-2007 at 03:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2007, 07:01 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

nuttygirl HB User

He does see his father on average one to two days per month which is sad. We do not have a visitation set-up but his father knows he can see him, talk to him on the phone, etc anytime he wants and can have him on weekends, every weekend if he wants. I've always been very liberal with that. His dad works alot and so this doesn't happen. He calls once a week and sees him like I said one or two days a month. I know it's important for them to spend more time together but his father is stubborn and feels our sons behavior warrants punishment when he is obviouly crying out for something.
Thanks for replying

Old 04-30-2007, 05:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

I would seek out counseling for him better to tackle the issues now before they grow larger. Change is rough for kids. I myself am getting separated,moved, my son started pre-k has to ride a bus and trust other people to care for him properly and he has ALOT of anxiety about it all so he started counseling. I'm hoping it'll get better soon, I wish you luck!!!

Closed Thread