It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
(male)

Ishmal01 HB User
Candyland Dangerous Game?

Hello, My name is Ishmal, some of you may know me from my zoo pal concerns. I am from India and have moved here to the United States for job opportunity. My son, Farqui, played this board game ritual at his elementary school and ask me to purchase for his use at home with his friends. I was very shock and displease to see some of the functions of this game. There are purple spaces? I look at the box to see if this game was intended use for girls AND boys and was very shock to see it was for both gender. I feel that the purple spaces are starting to make my son think in wrong kinds of ways. I did research and notice purple is internationally color for “homosexuality”. After this concern I start watching my son very close and notice whenever he land on purple space he touch himself inappropriate. I don’t know if this is coincidence or if this is natural occurrence. I try and take the game away but he crys (another sign that he is turning into female perhaps?). I’m very worried about his emotionally health and his orientation of sexuality.

Suggestions welcome and need!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2007, 05:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Candyland Dangerous Game?

My son four has candyland.. we play it frequently and he never touched himself while playing the game.. I have never heard of a color causing such.. I feel Candyland and many other games for ages three fine for children to play.

MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2007, 05:49 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

I have played this game with kids in my neighborhood ,with tons of other children in school for years and I have not known any of them to turn gay or lesbian.

Purple is not the ONLY color of gay pride. The Gay and Lesbian Pride flag is the colors of the rainbow. Purple, blue,aqua,green,yellow,orange and red. Purple is also the color of royalty

Gay men wear all colors from pastels to bright fluorescent ones. Handling a color can not make you turn gay. I doubt your son can tell the difference between a gay and lesbian person from a straight person.

Since we are on colors what about the color black? Some think that black is associated with ***** so he can't wear black either?

I think you are seriously reading to much into this gay thing. It's a game let your kid be a kid. He cries because you are taking away something that he is enjoying. Why deprive him of that just becasue you are scared. That's like saying if he cries cause something scared him he that he is turning into a girl cause boys are suppose to be be strong and brave and not cry.

Last edited by FromSqueaky; 04-29-2007 at 06:08 PM. Reason: added stuff

Old 04-29-2007, 05:50 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

I can understand coming from a different culture that things here may seem a little odd.

Personally, I don't associate any colours with any group or cause. No one can "own" a colour. I love purple just because I love purple. There is nothing about a colour that can make anyone do anything.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it seriously goes against your beliefs. That will be a choice you will have to make. You will find a lot of games and things here have all sorts of colours in them and are for both genders.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Both of my teenage boys loved to play Candyland when they were young. Believe me, they are both VERY heterosexual now.

I personally think that Candyland is one of the least dangerous games out there. But if you dislike it for cultural reasons, you can accidentally lose it.

PS. My heterosexual teens have also always been allowed to cry. It is healthy to express emotions, regardless of gender. Your son will soon get enough pressure from other boys not to cry; let him feel safe enough at home to express sadness.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:04 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

LisaFaith HB User

My sons also have Candyland (they are 7, 5, and 2) and they love it. It is a game that has been around for many generations. I played it as a child, as did my husband- and my husband definately is not gay.

I know that moving to a new country is a very difficult transition, and you will have a lot to learn along the way. Let him play the game. The colors on the game are only there to make the game bright and appealing to children. Children love bright, colorful things. The game teaches important lessons, such as taking turns, cooperative play, and being a good winner, and a good loser.

I promise you, the color purple has nothing to do with being gay. I have many gay friends, and some of them like purple, and some of them don't. Just as some heterosexual people like blue, and some like yellow.

As for crying when you take the game away, that is a normal reaction. Your son is sad and upset because he can't play a game that he is having fun with. He probably feels that he is being punished, but he doesn't understand why. In our culture, it is okay for boys to cry. It is one way that children learn compassion for other people.

Your son is growing up in a different type of society than you grew up in. I absolutely agree that the customs that you bring with you from India are important, and should be celebrated and taught to your son, so that he will be proud of where his family is from. However, you will need to be open-minded enough to be accepting of new things that your son may want to experience. It will be natural for him to want the things that his friends have, and to do the things that they are doing. As long as those things don't conflict with your moral or religious beliefs, let him try new things. As his father, you will learn a lot as well.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:01 PM   #7
(female)

stonehenge HB User

I work at a school's daycare for almost 4 years and have played candyland about a million times and those kids are completely normal. In fact, for the past year this one little 5 year old boy wants to play it every time he comes to daycare( about twice a week) and we play the game over and over again until his parents pick him up. He is completely normal and will get upset if I try to put the game up or suggest we play a different game(im gettinga little sick of playing it so much, i have to admit).Getting upset is a normal response to having something taken away. Candyland is a safe game.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:29 AM   #8
(male)

theztrain HB User
Unhappy Re: Candyland Dangerous Game?

I think with any game/toy the biggest danger you have to be concerned about is the size of the dice/game pieces and will the child put the pieces in his/her mouth. The choking hazard is the biggest threat from games. And since this is Candyland there might be some children that might want to sample and see if the pieces are part of the 'Candy' theme.

Other than that no worries. No gay evil spirits reside in the purple spaces!

Closed Thread