It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 10:18 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
should I get rid of little toilet seat?

My 4 year old dd is normally doing #1 during the day. She is waiting until we put pull-up on her in the evening for #2. She also wants to use little sit on a regular toilet seat. In daycare she doesn't use it. Our daycare provider told me to get rid of it.
We are afraid of a setback. She is holding her #1 anyway as long as she can before going to the toilet.
Should we wait until she mastered #2?

Old 05-09-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: should I get rid of little toilet seat?

Are the toilet seats normal or child size at your day care? We have the toilet seats that my son can fall through and get his backside wet.. not to mention plumb stuck with his arms and legs waving..

I so wished I had a video camera to catch that one. So we use a potty ring/seat that goes on the real toilet, it also has handles to hold on too. My son was never fond of using the training potty. He wanted to be a big boy and use the big potty, play with the toilet paper and flush his cars down the hole.

When your two year old comes and says, "Car not go down the hole." it gives you chills.

It sounds like you child knows when they have to go, but is unwilling to... take time outs on the potty set a timer during the weekends and every 45 minutes to an hour take them and sit them on the toilet. Make them sit for five minutes at least. The child will hate to stop playing that frequently and realize it is better to poop/pee to get off and stay off the pot.

When your child no longer messes in their pants then they are a big boy/girl and can play at their leisure without interference.. but if messes resume.. back to potty time outs. Making a bog deal of their big step really helps reinforce good potty training habits.

This worked for my son and #1 it helped with the pooping, but he would start streaking and making small messes because he was holding it and refusing to go.. we finally had to resort to the suppository/milk o mag regime to make him go. One weekend and he was trained.. this was when he was 2.5 years.

Sincerely,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2007, 12:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

At daycare they have regular toilet. At home we have child seat, which she puts on a toilet. I can't imagine her falling in. She knows how to hold. She is already 4 years old.
I will try to make her go to toilet more often.
In school or any other place she will not have additional little seat and she is already 4.5.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

My son has been using a regular seat since he was three, but that first potty dunk at 2 was a bit traumatic.. funny as all get out, but a definite potty set back.. that is when we go the potty seat.

MG

Old 05-10-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

happymom28 HB User

I have to tell you, she will never master #2 until you take the pull up away. Even then she may have some accidents before she gets it down completely. But she is old enough to understand the concept of using the toilet and she has you in a power struggle. Take away the pull up. Once she goes in her underwear she will most likely hate the feeling and hopefully that will be enough to get her on the toilet.

Honestly, I don't see what difference the smaller ring makes. Some children find it easy and others just don't like it.

When I was having trouble potty training my daughter I set a timer to go off every hour and made her sit on the potty for a couple of minutes. It can be very time consuming, but it did work. Whatever you decide you need to be consistent with her.

Good luck!

Old 05-10-2007, 01:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom28 View Post
I have to tell you, she will never master #2 until you take the pull up away. Even then she may have some accidents before she gets it down completely. But she is old enough to understand the concept of using the toilet and she has you in a power struggle. Take away the pull up. Once she goes in her underwear she will most likely hate the feeling and hopefully that will be enough to get her on the toilet.

Honestly, I don't see what difference the smaller ring makes. Some children find it easy and others just don't like it.

When I was having trouble potty training my daughter I set a timer to go off every hour and made her sit on the potty for a couple of minutes. It can be very time consuming, but it did work. Whatever you decide you need to be consistent with her.

Good luck!
We had huge set back when we took pull-ups at night time. She stopped going to the toilet all together. What she did is poo in underware and asked me to change. It doesn't make any difference for her. It doesn't even bother her that much to have it in her pants.
No places have little seat, that is why I want to get rid of it. I am afraid of a setback, she may stop using toilet all together.
Funny, she even asked me to slup her and give her time out, when I am unhappy about her toilet stuff.

Closed Thread