It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2007, 06:58 AM   #1
(male)

bret445 HB User
13 yo giving us trouble

To start with Thanks. My son is realy giving us a hard time with school, chors,and just plain behaving....We also have 4 yo twins and the girl is picking up on some of his habbits. I find myself starting to yell more and more. what makes it worse is there is another one on the way.I think he may be doing it for attention. I would just like to here that he is normal and so on...this is a day in his life, get waked up in morning. Three or four times b4 getting out of bed. Then get dressed and ready for school. then sit on couch till mom calls to remind him to catch the bus.Then mess around till its too late to catch the bus. Then sit around while everyone elese is at work and sitters. when dad gets home start playing with brother and sister until they start too cry. when this happens call them names and intaganize the heck out of them.
Now I do have him involved in baseball. He use to love it but that doesnt even get him out of the house anymore.We tried everthing we could think of but we keep hitting a wall. I dont remember being like this but i do remember my dad yelling alot at my brother. well thanks again. I know this all sounds typicle....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2007, 08:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: 13 yo giving us trouble

It is like he is not getting enough sleep and may be lacking energy due to the teenage tendancy to consume everything unhealthy at that age. How is his sleep hygiene? How does he sleep? What is his diet like? My brother had a shift like that with puberty and it was strongly linked to his obstructive sleep apnea, which wasn't diagnosed until he was 30.

That age is a hard time. Check out my post, "My take on sleep hygiene" on the sleep disorders board. Also look into sleep disorders in children. Look into counseling or even just trying to get him a confidant.. someone to vent and commiserate with.. try and find out his dreams and desires so that you can steer him there educationally. The twins may be taking a lot of your time and causing resentment issues. There are many things going on and you have to keep a level clear head and be consistant. Lay down some rules, discuss them with him.. get him involved. Then stick to them. All we can do is love them and do our best by them.

Wake up tip: get a container of ballbearing and marbles.. keep them in the freezer. GO to your son.. tell him wake up.. go to the freezer get the tiny ice terrors.. return to your son's room.. lift sheet.. apply liberally... there is no escape, they chase you about the bed thanks to that thing called gravity.. guaranteed screams and bed evacuation quickly. I remember my parents doing that to my brother, it was so fun.. I only experienced it once.

Respectfully,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2007, 09:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User
Re: 13 yo giving us trouble

Hi Brett

You are not alone.

I have a 14yr old son and his changes started at the age of 13. I think it is just teenage hormones. And as long you instil who is the adult in the house and who sets the rules you can handle this fine.

I know it is frustrating but you will get there. I am at that stage at the moment and i know that it will carry on like this for a while until he learns to deal with his hormone changes.

If i can be of any help then fire away and i will do my best. We are both going through the same problems.

I have found that if i talk to him like an adult and compromise instead saying "thats it, no other alternative" i get better reactions.

Sharon

Closed Thread