It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
(female)

cantdoitanymore HB User
Kids room storage/organization ideas. HELP!

Nothing I have tried has worked so far. I need something that isn't heavy enough to hurt them if they turn it over (the are both climbers) but I've tried Rubbermaid and Sterilite and they pull the drawers out, turn them over, climb on them, and break them.

I am so sick of trying to keep their rooms clean. DS (will be 4 in July) has about a gazillion Thomas toys, tracks, and buildings, and pretty much everything that came out from the Cars movie. Not to mention his latest interests, comic book action figures. (My DH is so excited about that so he keeps buying him stuff.) Take all those little things and they cover his room from one end to the other.

I had thought about cutting out pictures and writing the words below them on each storage container so he could recognize them and put them away himself. Since we are moving soon, I'd like to get some ideas for when we get into our new place, so we can kind of start fresh. KWIM?

What do you do to keep toys organized? Between him and my DD (just turned 2), they can completely destroy both of their rooms within 24 hours after I clean it. It's like, a 2 hour job if I do it every night. So I don't do it every night, because what's the point? KWIM?

Suggestions?

Old 05-11-2007, 10:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
Re: Kids room storage/organization ideas. HELP!

My dh put all toys my 4 year old dd doesn't play with in a garbage bag and get rid of it. She has easy access to what she play with and doesn't have a chance to trush her room on a daily basis. Before, it was a full time job to clean after her. We have only toy boxes. I saw my neighbours have shelves with transparent drawers for toys.
I was even told that kid should have only few toys he or she likes not tons.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
(female)

Barb02 HB User

I found it easier to rotate their toys every 2 months. I have 2 boys 2 & 4 & my 2yr old is doing everything my 4 yr old is, but also plays with some toys his age. The only toys left out at all times are their cars. It works well, & since you're getting ready to move now would be the time to sort, just a little bit of each, so when you bring out a different container it seems new but has everything.
Good Luck

Old 05-14-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

happymom28 HB User

We have colorful storage bins in my 5 year old dd's room and one big toy box for the "big" stuff. I taught her to help me clean at an early age so now she will do it all by herself. Having your son and daughter help you clean up and trying to make it fun or a game or something may help. Besides, if they know they have to pick it all up once they made the mess they may be more reluctant to dump them all out at once.

I think where your son has so many toys rotating them like the pp said is a good idea. Keeping them fresh will also help keep him from getting bored. Plus where you are moving this is a good chance to get rid of stuff they may not use anymore and therefore cut down on the clutter.

Closed Thread