It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
(female)

ElfieNLynx HB User
teaching my 4yr old how to draw

My son had his kindergarten screening yesterday and overall he did very well. One of the things though that he didn't do so well with was drawing shapes and lines. All this time I've been focusing on teaching him ABCs and how to count, his left and right,months of the year, shapes and colors. I guess its my fault since I never placed importance on drawing shapes and letters, I think I assumed that is something that is taught better in a classroom. I feel as if I let him down completely. The only thing he was able to draw was the first letter of his name "Q" and a circle, the rest was just scripple.

Anyway, we have the summer to practice but he really doesn't have any interest in it. He just wants to scripple. Any suggestions on how to get him started and to make it interesting for him. I'm already planning on printing out and buying dotted line shapes so he can start tracing, but the main issue seems to be his desire or focus to do it. I want to start ASAP. I can REALLY use the help on this issue.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

happymom28 HB User
Re: teaching my 4yr old how to draw

You didn't let your son down so don't feel badly about it! When my dd was 4 years she was very disinterested in writing too. She loved to scribble and to her it was a masterpiece!

What I did was look around for activity books that were geared to her age or were for preschoolers. Usually you can find ones that have writing practice as well as shape and color recognition. This helped us a little bit. I set aside the same time every day for about a half hour to spend doing a couple of pages of the book. At first she would be all about it, and then towards the end she would be ready to stop. If she started not paying attention we stopped doing it. I didn't want to force her and have her not enjoying these things. When she started kindergarten she could write her name well, but that was about it.

Now, a year later and almost done with kindergarten she has improved so much. This is mostly from kindergarten and her teachers. They do writing centers and she loves it! She has started coming home with "homework" every night and it is the first thing she wants to do when she comes in the door. She loves writing her name on it and doing whatever activity they have.

The teachers know that all the kids they have will all be at a different level coming in. This is why they do the screening, to group the kids who are at a similar place together. One thing her teacher suggested to me was to have her practice writing on an easle (which we had at home because she loves art work). She said it uses different muscles in the arm and hand and helps them to gain more control.

Now that I rambled on, just take your time finding what works for you and your son. If one approach doesn't work try something else. All kids learn differently and maybe he just needs more excitement or something.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2007, 09:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

If you can afford it, take him to teaching centers like kumon, kaplan and so on. Professionals will give him a lesson and you can watch it and help with homework at home. My dd is listening daycare person, but not me plus I am very busy.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

Many, many, many 4 year olds (boys especially) are NOT capable of having the fine motor skills to draw perfectly. Why are the schools trying to force these kids into doing this even before they go to school? It's nuts.

Do not let them make you feel bad because your son isn't perfect. No one's child can do everything. A lot of boys hate having a pencil in their hand even when they reach the teenage years so you can imagine how much they hate it at 4yrs old. *grin*

I honestly wouldn't force it. That will make him dispise learning and that's the last thing you want. When he gets to kindergarten and sees other kids doing it he will join in and learn quickly. Let him be a child while he can. Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:35 AM   #5
(female)

ElfieNLynx HB User

thanks for your replies. I feel better. Honestly I can't afford any tutoring school, but I do like the idea of setting some time away to practice. I did this with his ABC and counting. Of course I will never force him into doing anything he doesn't want to do. I really thought he was prepared for the screening and was shocked that drawing shapes was apart of it. I taught him how to draw circles awhile back but always just let him scripple and go wild since I figured it gives him his creativity and at least drawing scripples is getting him use to holding crayons and pencils and is the start of the motions he'll need to use.

I like the idea of an easel, since his birthday is coming up I will get one; maybe practicing on that will be more fun and easier. Thanks again!!

Old 05-15-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

LisaFaith HB User

Let him scribble if that's what he wants to do. That scribbling is developing fine motor skills that he need to learn to write. You can also let him paint with a small paintbrush and play with playdough to develop the fine motor skills. You can also work on making straight lines (verticle and horizontal) and more circles. Once he has the hang of those, try some zig-zags (/\/\/\/\/\/) He doesn't need to know how to write yet. There probably will be some kids who can, but a lot won't be able to. The important thing is that he can manipulate a pencil. A lot of kindergartens use fat pencils- not the normal sized kind, so you might look for some thicker ones at a teacher supply store or an office supply store. The only thing that I would want him to be able to write, if it were my child, is his name. The rest will come.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Hi, my son has his kindergarten screening today! I just wanted to say that in my opinion your child is doing just fine for his age and I really think the idea of a tutoring school at this age is a bit silly. (sorry if I offended anyone) but c'mon he's 4. I do agree with the poster who suggested the activity books though. I did this with my son (he is very strong willed and resistant if he thinks he is being forced to do something) So I bought the books and sat with him but he wasn't interested so I left them where he could get them and guess what? When HE decided that it was his idea, one day he took the book and just sat down at the table and completed like half of it while I was in the shower! Well, I made a big deal of it and told him how proud I was. I was also surprised at how well he did since he wouldn't write anything if I asked him to. The point is he felt that he decided when he was ready instead of feeling forced and all worked out fine. He can write his whole name and even a short sentance if I help with the spelling however, we still have the problem with him not doing it unless HE FEELS LIKE IT. This may actually turn out to be a bigger problem! We'll see since they tend to do better with teachers than at home since they are not quite sure what will happen if they don't listen to the teacher. Also the other kids will be doing it to and I think that makes a big difference. Good luck and don't stress too much.

Closed Thread