It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2007, 01:56 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
4 year old doesn't want to study.

I wanted to work on writing with my 4 year old after daycare (she had her rest). She said that she did writing at daycare and wanted tv. Than she spent may be 5 minutes and getting tired and went to lay down.
My mother had a hard time with me unwilling to study and I don't want to go through the same. I screwed up a lot when it comes to studies and career and don't want her to experience anything similiar. In my case, I came from country with huge discriminations and a rigid system with no room for mistakes. It is not as bad here, but still.
Anyway, daycare person said that she is smart but should be pushed when it comes to study, and she thinks that we are too soft with our dd.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

happymom28 HB User
Re: 4 year old doesn't want to study.

It could be the way you are going about it with her. Maybe you could get some of the fun and colorful activity books they make for preschoolers and set a time aside every day when she is alert and happy. If it is made to be more fun like play and less like work and study she will be more inclined to do it. No child likes to be forced into doing something they don't enjoy so I think if you approach it in a different way it may be easier for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2007, 11:35 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

Yes, I agree, ther is no law that says it can't be fun as well. Kids learn more if they enjoy learning. She may be too tired of it at the time of day you want her to do it. Make it like Happymom says, some fun exercises.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:13 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

This is just me so take it for what it's worth. She's only 4 years old. I don't get why on earth a 4 year old should have to do homework?????? Seriously. A 4 year old needs to learn from playing and having fun. Not sitting down at a kitchen table and being forced to write and colour. She's so little.

There's nothing wrong with having crayons and fun workbooks lying around for her to play with if she wants to but to force her to do it at that age? I think that's nuts. They have enough years of school coming up why make the torture last longer then it has to.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Galinaqt, are your fears of your experience affecting your parenting here?

Old 05-25-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

I myself wasn't prepare to school and it backfired me and my parents big time. I don't want to go through that with her. I know that kids who come to school prepared doing much better, than their peers who doesn't. Not even that. but she can slip and be behind everybody.
I agree that I should find fun way to do it.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Viktorria HB User

You mentioned day care - maybe you should consider moving her to a pre-school. That's what my soon to be 4 year olds does and it's been soooo helpful. He has homework everynight, but when he's conditioned at school to sit down and work it seems more natural.

We are also very focused parents who want him to be ahead and succeed in life. That obviously needs to be balanced with lots of fun and playing, but there is nothing wrong with your child being prepared. Another thing that works well for me it to play "school" with him and have him be the teacher. Then I tell him I need his help b/c I can't remember how to write a certain letter and he'll write it out to show me. We also use alphabet flash cards to play "go fish" and that works well too. Leap frog also makes a bingo game with with numbers and letters that he loves. Bottom line is that it has to be fun and not perceived as "studying". Good luck!

Old 05-25-2007, 05:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by galinaqt View Post
I myself wasn't prepare to school and it backfired me and my parents big time. I don't want to go through that with her. I know that kids who come to school prepared doing much better, than their peers who doesn't. Not even that. but she can slip and be behind everybody.
I agree that I should find fun way to do it.
Hi

I tend to agree with Pinkpiglet: she is too small to do homework systematically. But do you tell her stories? I think it would be a good idea to read stories to her from a book and then show her the pictures and letters. This might make her curious or eager to learn something further.
Go with her to a bookshop and let her choose a few books that she might want to "read". I think it is important that she associates (even without knowing it rationally) books and reading with something grand, meaningful and powerful. And of course funny.

This may be off-topic, but do you intend to give your daughter a bilingual education?

Last edited by pendulum; 05-25-2007 at 05:01 PM.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:33 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

shorti HB User

i have to agree, 4 years is too young to study. they should be outside playing or doing puzzles or something. i never studied till i got to primary school and in our first year of primary school we didnt get any homework. i think i was like 7 years old when i first started getting homework. we had to read everynight and do like a work sheet and that was it. i was behind some of the kids in my class. i wasnt a good reader so i got extra help. then i loved to read so everyday after school i would come home, sit on my bed by myself and read all the childrens books i owned. noone forced me. fast forward to high school, i went to japan for 3 weeks, loved it so much that i applied for a scholarship and lived there for a year and not only can i read english, i can read japanese. now im in uni doing a business degree. i think right now your daughter needs to be what she is and thats a 4 year old. she will have plenty of learning years when she gets to primary school. they teach the basics in that first year of primary school. i think the only thing i knew how to do when i got to primary school was to write my name.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:51 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

Thank you for your input. I like the idea when she is a teacher and I asked her for help. She likes to be the boss.
I am reading her before she goes to bed.
My father talk to her in "our" language and she can understand some.
Since I have a busy career I only focus on English with her. I was trying to speak my language, but she didn't unerstand, and I gave up. My dh is an american, and I speak English with him. She has English at daycare.
My daycare person has a good education in child teaching. She is working with her. I like that she has personnal attention there. I am not sure if she will have it in a big place. Since I am busy I need a place whith flexible hours, which works regulary and provides food.
She will go to pre-school at 5.5, then we will have to adjust.

Closed Thread