It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User
Question Is this how it starts? Potty Training.....

Hi all. Ds just turned 2. I am due for baby #2 in less than 3 months, so I wasn't pushing the idea of PT at all. Ds has all of a sudden become very interested in coming with me to the bathroom, helping get toilet paper, flushing etc.... Just recently, he asked to sit on the potty, and actually peed. I figured it was a fluke, but bought him a potty anyway. Then today, he said "potty?" so I put him on it, and he peed, and then said "all done". I was in shock! Where do I go from here? Do I encourage it like crazy? Or should I just let him do what he wants here and there? I should mention that after he peed a bit on the potty, he proceeded to poop in his diaper, so I'm not expecting anything overnight, but what should I expect? I was really just concentrating on getting him used to the idea of a new baby. I don't want him to be overwhelmed with too many changes at once...... Should I get him some underpants? Or just let him ridr this stage out for a long time? My mom is convinced that he is ready, and if he is, I should go ahead with it.
The other question is.......The training potty I bought is the kind that goes on top of the tiolet. I was told by a lot of friends that this was the best kind, but should I get him his own? Geez! I was SO not ready for this!

Old 05-27-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
(female)

lynxgal HB User
Re: Is this how it starts? Potty Training.....

If he is showing interest go with it. My son started to potty train while I was carrying my daughter. He lost interest for a while after the baby was born. I only used the potty that sat on top of the toilet. Worked well for my two. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2007, 09:08 AM   #3
(female)

ebird HB User

I had both the little potty and the seat that goes on top, my son wanted to use the big potty because, of course, he wants to be more like everyone else. For a while he had a big interest in it, but in the end he seemed to decide it was still easy just to let it go in his pants.

I potty trained my child when he was 2 by removing his pants. The reason he didn't go in the potty initially was because he was accustomed to the diaper, it was comfortable and easy for him just to squeeze it out. I think once the diaper was gone he knew he had to put it SOMEWHERE. He was old enough to know not to do it on the floor, so he started using the potty. I think he was just stubborn, so letting him run naked for a day or two helped him decide to start using the toilet.

Last edited by ebird; 06-14-2007 at 09:10 AM.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

What I'd do is this: When he expresses an interest or has success, I'd praise and reward like crazy. But, at this point in his life (baby due soon), I wouldn't push it - mainly because there is a good chance that he'll regress anyway once that baby is home. Keep it all fun and games at this point!

Good luck with that baby!

Closed Thread