It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2007, 06:04 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User
HELP- 5 yr olds anxiety is off the charts

My son is 5 and cries every morning on the bus. He says no one is mistreating him. several months back there were a string of events that started this off. One was one of his classmates who rides the bus had to be taken to the police station because no one was home to meet the bus, second he heard some adults talking about a story in the news about a Mother leaving her child on the subway because she couldn't care for him any longer, and there was one more that I can't remember. Since then he is terrified of becoming lost, of being left on his bus, of being taken to the police station.

It's very hard on the two of us having to go through this crying every morning.

I tried making it into a game where he gives his school bus driver a Metro card and asking if this bus stops at his school and his driver who I thank god for goes through it everyday. But that only helped for about a week. He's in therapy about his anxiety and I don't know what else to do because now I have anxiety everyday about it.

What a pair

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:12 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: HELP- 5 yr olds anxiety is off the charts

I wonder if your anxiety is feeding his anxiety...kids have terrific mood radar and it is almost impossible to hide your feelings from them. The driver sounds really nice. Maybe there is an older child on the bus every day who can be his "bus buddy" and look out for him..perhaps the driver can assign one of his passengers to be that person if you don't know any of the other kids. Best luck, Sera

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2007, 03:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User
Re: HELP- 5 yr olds anxiety is off the charts

Hi I don't have any anxiety regarding his riding the bus both the driver and the bus matron are angels with buckets of patience for my son. Maybe the first day or two as it was the first time he was riding a school bus and going to a large public school but since then I'm fine. It's since these several events he's had this anxiety the rest of the year he was fine as far as I know. Like I said he may be on the autistic spectrum so he has difficulty with change, he also goes thorough phases much longer than most kids. I was considering taking him to a police station so he can see that policemen are there to help and that lost kids get treated very well at a police station but I'm not sure if it'll help the situation or make it worse.

Closed Thread