It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2007, 06:06 PM   #1
(female)

dandilionsmile HB User
carboholic

I don't know if this is the right board...

I have a little boy who just turned three. He will eat nothing but carbohydrates. He loves all kinds of pasta, grilled cheese, chicken fingers, and fish sticks. He'll only drink milk. I can't get him to eat any veggies or fruit at all. We always have really great fruit and veggies around for his one year old brother. The one year old loves them all. He'll eat anything. We have melon, strawberries, carrots, peas, watermelon, cauliflower, soy beans, grapes, you name it. The three year old won't even try it. It's torture getting him to eat one carrot in order to get more pasta. I have to bribe him and tease him into touching it. He will only drink milk as I mentioned. He won't even try juice, any kind at all.

Anyway, I was wondering if there were any suggestions. I've tried mixing veggies with the pasta but he just picks it out. He's really skeptical of creative food too, making the fruit into shapes etc. and won't try it. I'm at a loss as to how to get him to eat anything healthy! Any advice would be great!!

Old 06-03-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: carboholic

Basically you can do no more. You are leaving the good stuff out for him, and really what he is eating isn't so bad. Don't make a battle out of it, one day he will be hungry enough to eat something different. Making him eat carrot to get his "proper" food is pretty counterproductive, as now carrot is the "Enemy". Many many 3-year-olds get into this picky stage. I have known kids who will eat only one food for months at a time. Just ask yourself, How many modern western children are diagnosed with deficiency diseases or die of malnutrition? My granddaughter was like that, but when she saw all her friends hoeing into the sliced fruit and veg. snacks at kindergarten, that was that cured overnight. Cheers, Sera

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

we are in a similar situation with my three year old. He won't eat ANY veggies at all. As for fruit he will eat strawberries, apple sauce, bananas, and grapes (sometimes). He won't eat apples, oranges, or any kind of melon. If I try to get him to eat a vegetable he will spit it out. Lately he has gotten very picky with regular food. He won't even try it if he doesn't know what it is. He mainly wants stuff like mac and cheese, sweets, bread, chicken nuggets, cheese, hot dogs, ect.. I think they all grow out of this eventually. It took me a long time to actually like vegetables so I guess I can't blame him. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do right now. he also won't touch eggs or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! weird I know.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Mine would be a vegitarian if I let him.. but he feels the way about meat yours do about veggies. We went to the sit and eat or no play.. you are full, fine. Nothing else until you eat what is there.. I will reheat it for you when you are hungry again. Took about a week. And we still have to force him to try new things. He hates the unknown and is very sensitive to texture.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 06-04-2007, 07:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

I was like that until I was 16 my son on the other hand has to eat spinach every day when he was younger I would grind up veggies and put it in with his spaghetti sauce add it into meatloaf any way I could. We still struggle with fruit and he'll try things in school that he won't at home so when he mentioned liking something I just add it to our roster of foods. He's actually coming along nicely he'll eat asparagus and broccoli also try something to dip it in ketchup, ranch dressing, honey mustard. Sometimes I'll feed him and put some of what I want him eat and always say oops sorry I got that on there I didn't notice so how did it taste. My son got on his spinach kick watching Popeye so thank you Popeye good luck and don't stress so much about they have drinks and other ways that you could get him to get veggies if your really worried.

Closed Thread