It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2007, 01:24 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Update on coping w/daughter going to college..

Hello all my fellow boardmates!
A couple of months ago I started a thread about coping with my daughter being accepted to college. We discussed the happiness, and the sadness about our kids growing up, leaving the nest and finding their own place in this big world.

I thank each and every one of you who offered support and understanding. I wanted to give you an update.

Our daughter is busy preparing for college. We leave this morning for the 5 hour trip for her to attend the SOAR (Student Orientation And Registration) program. She will be registering for her courses, and will also be spending the night on campus in the dorms. She is so excited, and I am too, but again, this is just another step in her leaving the nest, so once again, here I am spilling my "guts"!!

I have really been doing a good job in preparing myself, but we will officially be moving her in to her new dorms in early August. That's such a short way off, so we've been trying to spend as much quality time as a family as possible. Our daughter is finishing her final classes in school (just 2 classes a day), but then works at one of our local surf shops part time which has been keeping her at work most afternoons during the week, and has also kept her working every Saturday & Sunday all day. She even worked the entire Memorial Day weekend and Memorial day as well. I have to admire her work ethic. I have been working with her about the importance of saving as much money as possible during this time before she leaves for college so she will have a strong savings account. Hopefully she is following my suggestions!!

Anyway- just wanted to update you. I'm still so sad that she will be leaving us, but still just so proud of her and excited that she will be able to have this experience. Oh- She still intends to major in Chemistry!

Have a great day....I'll check back in when we get home this weekend.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User
Re: Update on coping w/daughter going to college..

Hope you and your daughter enjoyed your trip! I remember doing that with my oldest daughter. Yes, a very sad time indeed but they are growing up! Mine is now living off campus! Moved her a couple weeks ago. Seems too young to be in her own home!
You'll have much to look forward to when she comes home. Keep us posted.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

Thanks for the update. I have been thinking about you lately and wondering how you guys were doing. Please update us as soon as you can after your return and tell us all about the trip! I'll be anxious to hear about it.

Nancy

Old 06-09-2007, 02:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Smile Re: Update on coping w/daughter going to college..

CaringMom & Nancy-
Thank you both for your replies. It's nice to know there are parents out there who know what I'm talking about!

We got back early this afternoon, and we are ALL exhausted! Whew- it's nice to be home. We all (my hubby, daughter, son and me) had a great time. My husband actually attended SOAR with our daughter during the daytime events, and this gave me some time to spend alone with our son. Our daughter enjoyed her time on campus and had a great time spending the night in the dorms. My son & I picked hubby up Thrusday after noon because he wasn't staying on campus. We wanted Kayla to be able to enjoy "campus" life without mom or dad there-hahaha.

Things were hectic on campus with all the seminars, counseling sessions and of course class registration, but Kayla has her official schedule with the exception of nailing down which Chemistry class she will be attending. The Chemistry professor will take a look at her AP Chemistry exam scores & stranscripts from high school and will either approve her for a more advanced Chemistry class, or recommend her to the Basic Chemistry class.

The student advisors were extremely helpful in pointing her in the right direction with her schedule, and the SOS commity (Student Orientation Support) fell in love with her and have asked her to become a part of their team. They felt she has the personality and energy it takes in being a part of the "welcome wagon" for the university.

Anyway- this was a positive experience for all of us and the next step is paying for all this! They made it very clear that we must have all fees & tuitions due paid by August 3rd. After that, the next step is moving her in.

Ladies- I hope you have a great evening. I do want anyone reading this to remember this.....

It may sound cliche, BUT- Time flies. One minute you are holding your new precious bundle of joy in your arms, and the next minute you are watching them walk out of your back door and into the world. PLEASE cherish every moment you have with them. Cherish them all, because they truly are more than just a gift- they are a miracle and a priviledge!

Thank you again!

Old 06-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

You gave such GREAT advice, and true too! I have found myself lately telling new parents that I know the same thing. If your baby is up in the middle of the night, rock him or her for all its worth knowing it won't last forever. It may seem like it, but you are so right. Time passes way too quickly.

It sounds like you guys had a very productive trip, and a great time too! Do you feel better about her going to college now? I would think a trip like the one you just did would help a lot in being able to adjust to your child being so far away from home.

You are giving me tons of inspiration for handling this when the time comes for us. Our 20 year old will probably stay right here in town as he wants to major in business and continue working as an assistant manager of a Chick fil-A (he wants his own store when he graduates), but our 17 year old would leave to go out of town for college today if he didn't have one more year of high school. I am dreading the day it comes, but reading your posts is so encouraging. I keep telling myself, if you, someone who has expressed the same concerns as I have expressed, can do it, then by golly so can I! Now like you mentioned, the paying part, hmmmmm????????

Nancy

Closed Thread