It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2007, 06:49 PM   #1
(female)

Amber81499 HB User
Help me with potty training

My oldest son will be 4 in September. He started showing intrest in using the big boy potty when he was about 3. We got him big boy underwear and a small chair. He was slowing catching on.....still having lots of accidents but learning. He got better all the time and was doing great, suddenly one day he had to go #2 and it was very hard and didnt come out very well and he sat on the potty and screamed that it hurt. The next week he got the stomach flu and had diarreah for about 6 days straight. We had to put him in pull ups because of the amount of times he was going and he was very weak. So, now I think that he thinks that it is going to hurt because he refuses to go #2 in the potty. He will pee in the potty everytime without any accidents all day long but he refuses to poop. No matter what rewards he gets he still waits and goes in his pants. He says that it will not hurt in his pants. No matter what I do he still wont. He is going to be starting preschool in the fall and I need to get this taken care of but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any suggestions or helpful hints. THis is gettting to be a sore spot at our house and I am at a loss for new ideas. I would be willing to listen to anything

Old 06-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
Re: Help me with potty training

My 4.5 dd has problem with poo. My dh took me to behavorial therapist. He said that I should just change her without saying anything acting as a robot. We payed 120 for this advice He said to do it for a while so she will not think it is something temporarily. In his opinion we give her negative attention and it is her way to push our buttons.
I myself scared that she wouldn't be ready for school.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2007, 10:18 PM   #3
(female)

JAILYN12 HB User

Why don't you try rewarding him for goin #2 on the big potty. Maybe hang a chart in your bathroom and put his name, mommy and daddy. Then whenever he goes he gets to put a sticker on his chart. Mommy and Daddy get to put stickers on the chart everytime they go too. My cousin did that. She even had a spot on the chart for guests. It is like a game for them. You might want to tell him after he gets so many stickers he get to go to the store andpick out a present. You could give it a shot.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

This is not the most pleasant solution, but it is what worked for us.

Mine did this and my pediatrician said boys are prone to this and they are trying to assert dominance over the situation, going to the potty when and where is something they can control.. What we had to do because my son got so bad he refused to poop all together and we had to do the wonderful back end flush at the pediatricians for impaction.. was an oral laxative and suppository combination.

Step 1: Just try the milk o mag it will give them the urge to go and make sure it is soft and not hurting. If this doesn't work, then you continue with the milk o mag and apply the suppository next. The suppository adds a narrow window of time opportunity for them to have to go to the potty.

Step 2: Once the suppository was administered it should only take fifteen minutes for the child to be triggered to go, if they hold it beyond that point it begins to give them an unpleasant burning sensation. So sit them on the potty after ten minutes, and talk them through it. The longer the fight and refuse to go, the more they will be willing to go with out the tablet in the future. My son's record was 45 minutes.

Staying in the potty and keeping them there, while they scream, "I don't want to!" at you is tough, but it worked. Friends have done the same things with there boys as well. It took two days and it was over and my son was officially potty trained. You have to reason and talk them through it.. you don't want to do this, but if they refuse to go in the potty when they have to go.. well you have to help them.

We did this when my son was 2.5. He started getting stubborn about pooping in the potty and would take it til he hadn't pooped in 3-4 days and was risking severe impaction (got so close three times.. we finally had enough and asked the pediatrician what to do). So we followed the pediatricians advice and let our son know what we were doing and why, "You are a big boy and know when you have to poop and pee, but if you can't poop in the potty like you pee in the potty.. well we will have to help you." We gave him his dose of phillips milk o mag first for two days.. then we went into the suppository/milk o mag combination if he did not have a bowel movement by the night of the second day. After a long weekend of the milk o mag and suppository (we called it a tablet) combination, all we had to do is ask if he needed a tablet. [You know when he has to go.. he would start the to obviously do the "potty tight rope walk" as he called it and grunt with the cramps you get from not pooping when you have to.] His response was to **** his head to the side look at us and sigh before saying "I will go to the potty, if I have too." And he would go.

Now you will still have accidents on occasion, but for the most part the problem was solved for us after this. At four and four and a half a child knows what they are doing and what they should do, thus they should know better. My son is almost five and at four he was sassing and talking back. He also would debate with us like a natural born lawyer. With that capacity of reasoning there is know excuse for still messing their pants, they are not babies and are yanking your chain to see if they can get away with it.

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 08-01-2007 at 06:48 AM.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

Another thing doctor told us ( we are having exactly the same problem with 4.5 dd) is no diapers, pull-ups, rubber pants just regular underware. We had to pull her from swimming class where we can't take a risk. Also no travelling, changing daycare or any other major changes until this problem go away.
Another suggesting keep reading potty books. One time she did it on the toilet and said, "I am proud of me" same as a girl in the book.
My dh didn't want sepository (excuse my grammer) or any other artificial things which helps poo. She doesn't like veggie and doesn't poo very often.

Last edited by galinaqt; 08-01-2007 at 08:07 AM.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:55 PM   #6
(female)

junemommy17 HB User

I'm having a horrible time potty training my 3.2 year old. All of his little friends in his MDO class are getting to move up to the 3 year old class because they are potty-trained. My little boy is having to stay in the older 2's class. I take him to the potty at least once an hour. He will always pee in the potty when I take him but will not tell me when he has to go. Now pooping is a whole other story.
He will not tell me when he has to go, he has no problem going in his underwear or pull-up, but when he is on the potty and I tell him to try to go he starts crying. I have tried stickers, a treat box, and motivational charts. I'm frustrated but trying not to show it. I have a hard time believing that he is not ready when every other child in his class is potty-trained. I don't want to push him to hard and make everything worse but I also don't want to not push enough. Any advice would be welcome!

Old 08-03-2007, 07:27 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

My 4.5 dd poo in her pants yesterday. She said that her stomach was hurting her. She doesn't like fruits and veggie. Should I give her a sepository, so she will not feel pain and poo in the toilet? Should I go back to the potty?
She normally fine with pee.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:39 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

galinaqt,

You could also try fiber supplimentation/laxatives which are more natural if suppositories aare not your cup of tea. The good thing about a suppository is that it softens it at the sourcs and has a definite time frame of activation. The tummy hurting and gas pains will not go away for your child until the get accustomed to eating fruits and veggies regularly. There is maalox anti-gas chewables for kids these days that can help with gas cramp tummy aches.

I would say use the suppository.

MG

Old 08-04-2007, 10:12 PM   #9
(female)

Shanlo HB User

Proud, to say that my grandson turned two in May and is officailly potty trained. He poops in the toliet, I mean he does not use his potty at all. While visiting my daughter in May, I started putting underwears on him, had a few accidents, but continued to try. He like being the big boy. 6 weeks of potty trianing and 1 week of being away from his mother he was found using the toliet and trying to wipe himself. We would know if he had to do number 2, by the way he would do his legs, but my daughter tells me he is saying poop, for everything. He wears pullup to bed and wakes up dry.

I would take him to the potty every two hours. At first he would not poop on the toliet and one day I day he decided to go on his own. It was always a matter of getting him to the potty and if he peed, we clapped our hands and said great job, man. He loved it.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:09 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

jectac HB User

Are you watching him? Both of my dd potty trained at 2 years. The one thing was that neither one of them wanted me "in the room" when they did "#2". It was just a matter of embarassment. After I started leaving them alone, things fell into place. At 4.5 years old, they know the difference. You need to adjust your role.

Closed Thread