It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
(female)

constellation HB User
education neglect

My older sister lives on the 2nd floor of an apartment house. The couple downstairs have a 9 yr old boy. my sister noticed that he doesn't go to school or go outside much. One day my sister ran into the boy's mother & asked her why he doesn't go to school. She said he has peanut allergies & she home schools him. my sister thought the boy was about six years old because he's small & has trouble forming sentences. He's also very hyperactive. The mother said he's at 5th grade level in all subjects. My sister's deck is right above theirs & she can hear what they talk about. She didn't mean to eaves drop but couldn't help hearing because the boy talks very loud. The boy would stuggle with reciting the alphabet and definatly cannot read because he asks his mother to read everything. the boy would also cry when seeing kids go to school and asks his mother why he can't go. His mother responds by telling him the kids will push him & pull down his pants and *gasp* rape him. My sister also hears their TV on early moring till late night & hears the mother gabbing on the phone constantly. My sister is not a nosey person at all. But her heart sinks seeing this boy not get a proper education. She wants to call DSS but doesn't know how to go about it. What should she do? Sorry if this post was too long.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User
Re: education neglect

She could hotline it by calling the 1-800 number. Every state has one. She needs to just look in the phone book under state listings and see what the hotline number for abuse/neglect is. They will then at least check it out and if there is a concern they will do more investigating of the situation.

Nancy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
(female)

luvmy2kids HB User

That is so sad. It's not just about his education. Sounds like this woman is trying to do everything in her power to warp this poor child's mind. Telling him he's going to be raped at school?!?! The poor kid. You could also look on the webpage for your state and get the info for calling dss. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
(female)

constellation HB User

yes, his mother was messing with his mind. This is more than education neglect.
My sister called the 800# to DSS and made a anon complaint. Well they sure move fast because they were there the very next day. My sister happened to be home & heard the mother screaming for them to get the ***** out. My sister heard banging and then a window break. Moments later the police came & then an ambulance. They took the mother away in the ambulance. the police stayed until someone came for the boy. My sister was feeling really badly about what she did until she loked out the window & saw the boy smiling and hugging the police officer. Perhaps there was much more going on then what my sister heard.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:40 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

willo1980 HB User

Thank goodness for her being a concerned citizen. I'm a pre-school teacher and am in the court mandated reporter position - if I suspect or see anything I am to call or I can be held liable. I don't hesitate to call. Never. The worst case: I'm wrong and the family remains together. But there's always a chance something else is going on - something wrong - something like you described.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:50 AM   #6
(female)

luvmy2kids HB User

constellation, you should be really proud of your sister! What a good person she is. Hopefully this little boy will get the help he needs and put with a family that will help him and love him!

Old 06-15-2007, 11:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Your sister did the right thing. Tell her not to feel bad at all. Lack of education was probably the least hurtful thing that was happening to this child. I shudder to think.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:12 PM   #8
(female)

violaroses HB User

good job sister!!!!! hard to do, but the best thing to do,

Closed Thread