It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2007, 05:12 PM   #1
(female)

sdjansen HB User
Why does he cover his eyes

My 2 year old son covers his eyes and hides all the time. At first I thought he was just being shy and didnt like the people/place we were at, but now he does it at the house, and sometimes when he is alone. I cant figure out if he is scared or embarassed. Does anyone elses kids do this because none of my friends kids do. I am such a paranoid mom I always think the worst like he is having a migraine or brain tumor(I know its not a brain tumer, just trying to give an example!)

Old 06-25-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
(female)

1stimer662 HB User
Re: Why does he cover his eyes

Hey, I'm a mother of a 3 yr. old(who doesn't do this particular thing) but I just wanted to write that maybe it's just something he's figured out that helps him when he does feel some emotion he doesn't understand or want to feel. I read somewhere that 2 yr. olds especially do very quirky things and that's perfectly ok. They'll grow out of it after a while. But maybe you should just curiously ask him--in a friendly, playful tone,"What are you hiding from?" and maybe tickle him or start playing with him to get his mind off of whatever is going on if it seems like he's distressed. Maybe read him a book or let him help you clean or cook something....I don't know the situation exactly, but from your post it just seems like it's a quirky coping tactic he's experimenting with. You shouldn't think negatively about it.....but it's good that you're such an attentive, concerned mom! Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Yes to the quirky things.. My son suddenly developed this habit of keeping a hand in his pants on his wee wee at that age.. why? Well i asked him why he was holding himself.. did he need to go potty? He told me No.. big Boy X at school says the potty monster will still my wee wee if I don't keep it covered. The six year old boy was telling them all sorts of stuff and the two year olds boys believed him.. Man was that a fun thing to fight.

Dito on the playful inquiries.. most 2 year olds like to be talked to and will share with some gentle prodding.

Good luck.
MG

Old 06-26-2007, 08:05 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User

My son is 3.5 and he's been doing that for about a year now. He doesn't do it as much as he used to. He is extremely shy and I think when we are out he does it just so people will leave him alone. He sometimes does it at home and my DH and I always say that he thinks if he can't see us, we can't see him. LOL

I wouldn't worry too much about it!! I think it's just a "kid" thing!
PCOS

Old 06-26-2007, 04:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

brook65 HB User

I know this may sound daft, but has someone played 'peek bo' with him, and he found it a highley amusing funny game, and maybe has picked it up as a way to amuse people or make them laugh.

Maybe it is something simple like that....

Last edited by brook65; 06-26-2007 at 04:18 PM.

Closed Thread