It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2007, 08:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
5.5 year old and long flights?

Next year, when my dd will be 5.5 we want to fly to CA, which is 8 - 11 hour flight for us. My friend told me that it would be too hard for her, also flights often don't provide food only snacks? She also think that sightseeing would be exhausting for my dd.
Did anybody have any thoughts or experiences on this?

Old 06-28-2007, 10:12 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: 5.5 year old and long flights?

Absolute nonsense! Of course it will be a long flight for the child, but as to food, whats wrong with packing a couple of good snacks and sandwiches yourself? There are many ways to amuse a child on a long trip like this - your little one may be a sleeper (one of mine was - 10 minutes in any moving vehicle and he would be asleep for hours). Have some new books, games saved up just for the trip. Sightseeing can be tiring for a child. Only do it for a couple of hours before a good rest and refreshment stop. Sera

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2007, 03:19 AM   #3
(female)

Jakeysmom HB User

YOU will be the one who is tired, LOL!!! I agree with the PP. Yes it is a long flight, but most longer flights do offer food. I recently went to CA with my 19 month old and it was about a 6 hour flight. They had sandwiches etc for sale, but we brought our own food and of course they had drinks so it was fine. We brought a portable DVD player and this airplane like most airlines had an outlet to plug into under the seat for a car type charger adaptor. As for the sightseeing, just make sure you take breaks and plan some special activities that will appeal to your DD. We had a blast in CA, and yes there are always going to be difficulties when traveling, but there are terrific rewards too! Enjoy!!

Old 06-29-2007, 07:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

May be you can give me a tip of how can I pack perishable food for such a long trip?
We got free tickets to use within a year from airline, because they delayed a flight for a day. This airline only provides snacks and drinks.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:12 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

It doesn't have to be all perishable food. I would pack fruit, cheese & cracker snack packs, a couple of frozen sandwiches, which will be fresh after 5-6 hours. You and your little girl will not be getting all that hungry just sitting in the plane. Just have a variety of bits and pieces. It won't hurt if she doesn't have an actual meal during that time. As long as she has plenty of fluids as the plane air is very drying.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

My dh read that plane was landed, because a little boy made a big fuss over not getting apple juice. My dd sometimes has temper tantrums, so it scares him. I am greateful for you advices. I hope to encourage my husband.

Closed Thread