It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #1
(female)

meghan5507 HB User
Unhappy child with allergies

My son is a year old had has really bad allergies already. His dad has them too. The doctor would never believe me everytime his face would brake out in hives and his eye would swell shut the doctors office said that children that young don't get allergies and I must be mistaken so one day he had got really bad I took him to the doctors and they finaly believe me. But they still want take it seriously. He had got a sinus infection. The doctor gave us some mocacilon(can't spell it) aintabotic for two weeks. Then the doctor said that when he gets off of that he will see about allgery medicine should I concider an allger doctor for my son or trust the doctor.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: child with allergies

Meghan, do you think this could be food allergy? I would definitely go to an allergist. I have been battling allergies in this household for a very long time with a lot of success. A lot of that success was from trusting my gut as a mother and not taking what any one doc would say as the absolute truth....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2007, 05:26 AM   #3
(female)

meghan5507 HB User

No it's as soon as he touches dogs or cats. certain dust and fresh cut grass and mold. all of these set him off as soon as he come in contact with them. I think I am going to send him and my husband to the same allergist

Old 07-02-2007, 07:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

My boy is 5 and started out with food allergies and outgrew most of those but now has environmental allergies we see an allergist and he gets shots weekly that have helped but not cured. But it's definately worth it.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Allergy testing is only good for children 5 years and older.. it is an adult testing method and often gives false negatives in children under the age of 5. My son was tested at the age of two.. nada. Mild dust and mold, with strong reaction to smoke inhalants. But he still exhibited all the signs of allergies. The allergist will see and note this and give you zyrtec, nasonex, and maybe singular. You might also have to start carrying an epi-pen.

Also try making the animals completely in or out. It could be an animal allergy or an allergy to something they have been rolling or laying in.. pets are bad about bringing allergens in and out. Wash hands after petting and playing with the animals as well.

Best of luck managing your allergies. My whole family fights them.. it can be annoying, but it is managable.

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 07-02-2007 at 10:02 PM.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

When my son was an infant he was so allergic to dairy that I had to stop eating anything and everything with the smallest trace of dairy because I was nursing and he'd have a reaction. He'd first get red blotches all over his face than it would change into this really ick looking crust that resembled honey. One time he even passed blood in his diaper and I mean ALOT.I nearly fainted.The next year he was allergic to corn and would projectile vomit. He out grew both but at the time drove me mad until I figured out what EXACTLY he was reacting to. He still gets a bad stomach if he eats too much dairy. Good luck I really hope you figure it out it's tough when they're small and can't talk yet.

Closed Thread