It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2007, 10:05 PM   #1
(female)

TayTay06 HB User
9 Month Old Sleep Issues

My 9 month old will sleep through the night...as long as she is in my bed. Her naps are MUCH better if she sleeps on me...but she will nap without me, just not as long. Her schedule is pretty consistant.

My question: If I lay her down and 15 minutes later she wakes up crying, should I continue to let her cry and try to fall back asleep? Does this really work?

Im thinking this:

After 15 minutes she wakes up crying
I let her cry to 5 minutes then insert binki and back down
After a week I go to 10 minutes...then 15 and so on until she doesnt need me at all.

Any suggestions??? I would love to be able to lay her down and she go to sleep on her own and stay asleep!!!

Help!
New but Loving Mommy,
Tay

Old 07-02-2007, 05:29 AM   #2
(female)

meghan5507 HB User
Re: 9 Month Old Sleep Issues

I would try it my son is a year old and I started doing what you did at 6 months now he has to sleep all night in our bed and nap time I have to hold him. Now I can't get any sleep.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
(female)

TayTay06 HB User

Meghan

That really sucks that you cant get any sleep. That is such a hard cycle to break. How long will he go without sleep if you dont hold him. Maybe he will get so pooped he will just crash. I know that is a tough thing to do with a schedule involved though. My friend had the same problem with her first kid and he is now 5 and still wants to sleep with her. When she had her second baby she refused to hold her while she slept and now she is 2 and she puts herself to sleep as soon as she is laid down in her crib. Amazing!!!
I wish I could have that!!!!
Good luck to your sleep....from one mom to another, I know how hard it is to function when your sleep is less than perfect.
Hang in there....I know I am =)

Old 07-03-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User

The problem is that you're letting her fall asleep on you. Even if you put her down to sleep on her own, she has still used you to fall asleep. When she wakes, she will need YOU to fall back to sleep again. Babies need to learn how to put themselves to sleep. Everyone wakes up at night, but we roll over and fall back to sleep. Babies will wake up and look to fall back to sleep the same way they went to sleep in the first place. So if you rocked her, held her, gave her a paci, nursed her, gave her a bottle, etc....that's what she will need to fall back to sleep.

At 9 months it's going to be harder because she is older and is more aware that you're changing things up on her. But she needs to learn how to fall asleep on her own. Do the routine stuff as far as bath, pjs, milk, stories, etc....even some rockng, but not to the point of sleep. Wait until she is drowsy and put her down. Like I said, at 9 months, she is going to protest....possibly big-time. You can either go full blown CIO or check on her periodically, increasing the time before you go back. It'll probably take a few nights, but above all you need to be consistent. Teaching her to fall asleep on her own will be a great gift to you and her.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
(female)

TayTay06 HB User

Thank you Sem.

Great advice. I knew it already but needed to hear it anyway. Thank you. I will be trying very hard....no I will do it no matter how hard it gets. I love her enough to teach her indapendence!!!

I will keep you all updated!!

Closed Thread