It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2007, 10:00 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User
What to teach a 4 year old about getting lost

I thought this might help some other people as well. I have been teaching my 4 year old DD what to do if she gets lost. She knows her full name and address. Was about to teach her our phone number but we are moving so I am waiting for that. I told her to stay in one place, not to walk around. Look for us. Yell as loud as she can for help. Not go anywhere with a stranger. I was reading an article and it said to ask for help from another mom. To look for other mom's with kids. So now she knows what to do. I hope it will never happen but at least if it does she is prepared. I never realized that she should look for another mom. They said that a mom would more often stay with a lost child until there parent was found more often that a man. Also we have taught her that if someone was to take her from anywhere to yell as loud as she could "not my mom, not my dad". Cause you often hear a toddler screaming bloody murder in a store. I often wonder if they are just throwing a tantrum or if they are being taken. That was there will be no confusion if something happens to my DD. I don't want her to be scared of things but I want her to be prepared. I was wondering is there anything else I should teach her (other than her phone #) right now? Thanks everyone for listening. Sherri

Last edited by Sherri-Lynne; 07-04-2007 at 10:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2007, 04:13 AM   #2
(female)

tigerlilyx61 HB User
Re: What to teach a 4 year old about getting lost

These are all good tactics to teach her. I also would do some role playing with her if you already have not done that. I used to do this with my 3 daughters. You have already told her not to go anyplace with a stranger..this is good. I would clarify what a stranger is by saying he(or she) is anyone you don't know. Strangers don't have to look mean or bad, in fact, sometimes they can look very nice. Role play scenarios such as, "Let's pretend we are in a store or at a park and mommy is not paying attention or you do get lost. What would you do if someone you don't know came up to you and said "Hi. I lost my puppy can you help me find him?" Or "Your mommy was in an accident and she sent me to come get you." Tell her you would NEVER send someone she doesn't know to pick her up. I also told my children to never get within an arms length of anyone they didn't know because if they were that close the person could grab them. And I used to role play that situation too. In reality I wonder if these things really work? Would they do the right thing if it were to actually happen? Who knows.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2007, 06:55 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User

I don't leave my kids outside alone yet, but I'm sure they will be as they get older. I, of course, told them about not talking to a stranger who stops and to NEVER get into someone else's car...no matter how nice they look or what they will give you. But another one I saw was that they should run opposite of what direction the car is faced. The car wouldn't likely turn around to follow them.

I'm going to tell them the Mom one and yelling "not my mom or dad"....never thought of the mistaken tantrum thing. I also told mine to kick or punch as hard as they could in the private area and then run. Not assuming it would be a man because it hurts if a woman is hit there as well.

Last edited by sem627; 07-05-2007 at 06:55 AM.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:08 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User

Thanks guys. I have role played with her about the whole I lost my puppy thing, I have candy, etc.. She just loves animals so I thought I definately would need to teach her that one. Also she knows that we have a keyword. I did when I was little. If someone has permission to get you they will use the key word. Even if it's grandma, grandpa etc... Mine when I was a kid was ketchup. It is something that you wouldn't use in just a normal conversation. She knows not to go near any stranger no matter what. Only moms with other kids with them. I will teach her to run in the other direction as a car as well. They did a program one night and girls are better than boys. They did do what there parents taught them. Ran never went close to them, yelled for help. Boys they said didn't listen and went over to the cars, helped find a lost puppy, etc... I go over everything with her once a week, being as she is so young. I feel better knowing that she is prepared. I don't let her out of my sight right now but I thought it is something we should have drilled into her head at an early age so she will know what to do. Also she starts school next year and I am a pariniod mom. It's things you don't prepare for that happen so that is why I am preparing her in hopes it never does. Thanks again and I hope that this helped other parents as well. Sherri

Last edited by Sherri-Lynne; 07-05-2007 at 09:11 AM.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Also stress 911 and 0 on public phones. Calling the police is always a viable option when a young one is lost.. If they know their name and address the cops can reach you no matter what. My son knows our home number and address and his grand parents phone numbers and addresses. With that information if he is lost he can get a hold of someone. Right now he is 4 and I find myself considering the leash for him once more.. he is always wanting to wander and it is hard to get him to stop and stay.

MG

Closed Thread