It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
what 4.5 should know?

I am trying to prepare my dd for next year school. My friend told me that if I teach her addittion and subtraction it may hurt, because teachers may want to teach her their own way.
For now she knows numbers up to 20 and alphabet, daycare person is teaching her writing.
What books, computer games and what should she know by 5 to be well prepared?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2007, 01:34 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User
Re: what 4.5 should know?

My son started school in September, while you want the very best for them and want to that little bit extra with them. Okay a child (4-5) maybe able to count to 50 but really does not know what 50 really is!! My advice would be continue with writing to develop the motor neuron skills, and dot to dot, pencil control doing patterns.

I would wait until the teacher starts, as different schools have different ways of teaching and you can end up confusing the child. When your child has started school and you can see the teaching path, you should then continue to do your own extra little bit at home. Just my own thoughts for what it is worth.... Hope it helps.

Round 1

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2007, 07:14 AM   #3
(female)

hereinwi HB User

Gali,

My daughter started kindergarten 15 days after she turned 5. She was the youngest in kindergarten for the whole school. Most of the kids were 6 or almost 6 at the beginning of the year.

She went into school knowing how to count to 100, write her numbers and letters, knowing all of her shapes and colors and with a huge vocabulary, I think I know where she gets her desire to talk from Math is good to teach her, basic counting, adding and subtracting. I think that it is good for her to go in knowing what to expect.

She came out of Kindergarten knowing how to read and with additional social skills (when to talk, to be quiet etc.)

As for computer games, I really think it is better to work with her one on one or to try to get her to interact with other children. Computer games can be educational but are not used in my daughters school, and learning from a computer is a lot different then learning from a teacher. Workbooks are good though, math and spelling workbooks that are labeled for K-1st graders.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by hereinwi; 07-17-2007 at 08:43 AM.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

My son is 4.5. There is no true list of what a child should or shouldn't know. In my opinion if the child enjoys learning go with it.. let them absorb and learn all they will take..

This is what my son can do. He can count by 2's, 5's, 10's, 100's.. all the way to 1000. He can even count by thousands. He has always been mathematically inclined. He began counting and adding at age 2. Now he is doing simple multiplication and division as well as column addition and subtraction.

He reads at a 2nd grade level and all of this he has developed with out being forced. We have given him access to leapfrog learning toys and tools since he was 6 months. For Christmas he got a Leapster. He uses this when we travel and go out places that require a long waiting period as well as in the morning before school. He has learned a lot from the Leapster and we get to work with him on it as well.

We also put him into Montessori School at 18 months, before going to the school he already new his alphabet, shapes, and colors and numbers up to 20. Now he knows his shapes, fractions, monetary values, spanish equivalents for many words and concepts. He knows what fifty is, because he has counted it out and grouped it using poker chips when he was still chewing and teething, now we use pennies and dimes and nickles...
Using a deck of cards Ace (1) through ten and counting out columns of 1 to 10 under the number was a fun way to associate quantity to the number.

The key is to make learning fun and interesting. My son likes the occasional TV show, but would much rather read a story to mommy or daddy or the dogs or cat. He loves to draw anything with wheels, and can write both block print and cursive (only when he wants to with the cursive.. he thinks it is too messy). DO not force it, but they love to learn new things at this stage, they are wired for it.

A good teacher will know what your child knows and let them grow as needed. If the child truely knows the concept, they will not be confused by seeing a different path of instruction. My son tells his teacher.. that is nice, but this is more efficient.. then proceeds to start to teach her his way. He gets to help teach the three year olds different lessons and loves it. Teaching is one of the best ways to learn as any good teacher knows. We arer now struggling with a 4.5+er that thinks he knows everything and has started to act like it as well. You have to love the independent assertion phases.

Best of luck to you.
MG

Old 07-17-2007, 11:13 AM   #5
(female)

tigerlilyx61 HB User

I once had a kindergarten teacher tell me the most important thing for a child to know when entering kindergarten is how to share. I didn't put my youngest daughter in preschool and she has done extremely well. High honor roll since they start to grade with numbers which, in our school district, is fourth grade. She will be starting seventh grade this fall. I'm not saying you shouldn't work with her...just don't push too hard.

Last edited by tigerlilyx61; 07-17-2007 at 11:15 AM.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

My daughter knows much less than your kids. She can count until 20, knows the letters and numbers, most of shapes and colors. I got her couple kindergattern level workbooks. Lady at daycare is working with her.
I could take her to class, which teaches my native language, but I am afraid that she will be confused. In my language B sounds like V and P sounds like R. I am afraid to make matters worse. Does somebody teach their kids foreighn language?

Old 07-17-2007, 07:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

I learned to speak a different language before I spoke English. Somehow, through watching tv (like Sesame Street, Mister Rogers, etc.), my sister and I learned how to speak and read English before we started school. I have no recollection about how that happened, but I was going to both English school and my language's school (which was once a week on Saturdays).

You would be surprised at how much kids can learn when they are young. That's why people try to teach their kids more languages when they are younger because it's easier for them to pick it up than it is for an older person.

If you speak another language then you need to make sure your dd can speak both fluently. Believe me, it's worth it to be bilingual as she gets older, because she can pick up even more languages as she gets older. I eventually learned Spanish in junior high, a little French (not a lot) and then I tried to teach myself Italian last year. And because I have the benefit of already knowing a second language, I understand more about how other languages operate, and therefore it made it very easy to pick it up. I was practically fluent in Spanish by the time I graduated high school, but since I don't use it all the time, I have forgotten a lot. Although I can still pick up words here and there when I listen to someone speaking it. (Though native speakers in Spanish talk really fast which makes it harder for me to understand what they are saying).

Definitely teach your daughter both languages. It will make a huge difference in her ability to pick up additional languages in the future. And plus she will be connected to her heritage in a way that people who only speak English and don't know their country's language will never understand.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:51 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kszan View Post
And plus she will be connected to her heritage in a way that people who only speak English and don't know their country's language will never understand.
I can relate to other reasons but not that. To me it means teaching he the language of a country where I was very unhappy and really hate and have absolutely nothing to be proud of.
Even if I put it aside and look at other reasons, I am still concern that because same letters stand for different sound it will confuse her. May be some kids have parents who can invest more time in them. In my case I'll be happy if she at least doesn't fall behind.
I can try to teachy her some basic phrases. She knows some from my father.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:07 PM   #9
(female)

1963IMB HB User
Smile Re: what 4.5 should know?

Young children are like sponges. Most of them learn very quickly and IMO should not be held back from learning because "perhaps" they would be confused later on. I could not keep my kids from learning. They picked up basic concepts from everything around them: games, toys, interaction with others. By the time my first two got to kindergarten they were doing first and second grade work simply because they were ready for it and wanted it. We encourage them to think about things. Our biggest problem has been the schools holding them back from learning more. Probably the most important thing to teach your child before starting school is the joy of learning.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:57 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963IMB View Post
Young children are like sponges. Most of them learn very quickly and IMO should not be held back from learning because "perhaps" they would be confused later on. I could not keep my kids from learning. They picked up basic concepts from everything around them: games, toys, interaction with others. By the time my first two got to kindergarten they were doing first and second grade work simply because they were ready for it and wanted it. We encourage them to think about things. Our biggest problem has been the schools holding them back from learning more. Probably the most important thing to teach your child before starting school is the joy of learning.
My cousin's dd knows a lot more than kindergattern level. She was taken classes with kids who are 1 or 2 years older. Right now she is in the gifted kids class with same age kids, who are taking more advanced classes. I don't know where you live so you can't have the same for your kids.
My dd is still confusing some letters and numbers. I am hesitant introducing new alphabet where same letters sounds totally different.
How do you teach joy of learning?

Old 07-29-2007, 08:57 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Viktorria HB User

I plan to have my son go to private school next year (he just turned 4), but to make sure he will be prepared we talked to the kindergarden teacher and asked what he should know and what we can expect him to learn. I'd suggest that you try a similar approach and contact the school, because that's really the best way to know how hard to push your child. You want them prepared, but don't want to push too hard and have them miss the fun of being a child.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:11 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

I told my daycare provider that she should be able to write her name, address and phone number in one year. She told me that she will be able to do it. I got kindergadern level workbooks and educational cd and trying to work with her.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:13 PM   #13
(female)

Jewdee5 HB User

K class only wants your child to:

Know how to share!!
Know the basic colors!!
Know how to tie shoe,
Know how to write name,
identify objects in pictures,
Know the alphabet
and know numbers 1-20.

They could care less if your child can count to a million, because memorization comes into play here and like what was already mentioned previously, the child at 4.5 has no concept of what those large of numbers really mean.

The problem today is we have parents that want their child to be the very best and tend to push their education more before they enter school. Some schools give the option to advance pass a grade to a higher grade. This leads to major complications down the road for your child, but many select this option.

The other problem is, when parents try to teach everything overnight to their child that they should learn in a timely manner over the next 2-3 in school. Children tend to get "bored" in class and not pay attention at all. Then the next year they tend to get bored and not pay attention either. What happens is, the child will then miss out on what they should know for the following year and then they will fall quickly behind, because they have not paid attention the previous years.

Another problem with advancing past grades is that the child is not mature enough for that level of class which can cause psychological problems in the future, although their brains may be at that level. It will not matter if your child is mentally at that level or not. The child will endure maturity problems and psychologiclal problems that will basically postpone future learnings/lessons/teachings.

Your best bet is to make sure your child know what they need to know to enter school and then follow along with your child at home along with his/her class.

Have fun everyone.

Last edited by Jewdee5; 08-03-2007 at 12:18 PM.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

HI all

I have been a Pre-K teacher for many years. My class is 4-5 years olds. As a Pre-K teacher I always appreciate the kids in my class who have more academic skills. They are important role models to the other kids who have not been exposed to as much. Children tend to look to each other at this age. It always helps when I have a group of 20 kids to have 5 or 6 who get what I am teaching it really helps with the rest of the class. And these kids are usually a joy to have in my class as well.

One of the most important skills a child this age needs to learn is social skills and being independent. Respecting others, sharing, listening to teachers and others, not being afraid to speak out in a group, using the bathroom properly, taking turns, using materials and toys, cleaning up, organizing self, showing empathy towards others, using words instead of tantrums, waiting, staying with a task, remembering things, dressing self, putting on own coat, tying shoes, being a good friend. WE spend a good part of our school year teaching these concepts. Many children come into our class and know so many things, numbers, letters, etc. but do not have good social skills. Many parents think their child does have these skills since they interact well at home, with siblings and with other adults or playgroup. But in a classroom situation, the child can show different behavior.

Academic skills we teach are letters and letter sounds, story recall, we study all aspects of stories such as title, author, characters, plot and also encourage the children to do book reviews by forming opiinions on the story why the did or didn't like it. For math/science: counting, number recognition, shapes, colors, basic science experiments and cooking, measuring, weighing with a scale, making comparisons, matching, patterns, one to one correspondence, 5 senses, environmental studies, exploring real and found materials, animals. We also do a lot of multi cultural activities and social studies such as community workers, families, around the world, holidays etc. We really do a lot to develop fine motor skills by using manipulative toys and games, puzzles, a variety or art and writing materials, scissors, glue, stamps, paint.

What we do not do: flashcards, tracing letters and numbers, worksheets or workbooks, or long periods of sitting and listening. We do mostly hands on activities and learning through play and exploration.

I do think it is wonderful that parents are willing to teach their children at home. My mom taught me to read, write before I went to kindergarten. I always did well in school, was never bored and always had good self esteem and felt good about the fact that I understood what was being taught and was making honor roll or being put in top reading/math groups. As long as you are not pushing your child to the point where they become unhappy and hate learning. Always make it fun, hands on and appropriate to the child's attention span.

3 important things I always tell my parents:

Read read read every day to your child
limit time with TV and video games
Make sure they get plenty of outside time and plenty of sleep

Last edited by Hope2Heal; 08-03-2007 at 08:35 PM.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:00 AM   #15
(female)

jillr HB User

mkgbrook,
Has your son been tested for autism or aspberger's? A 4 yr. old doesn't normally know as much as your child. I work in the public school system and anytime a child that young knows that much, it raises a red flag and we have the child tested. Does he socialize well with his peers? Does he enjoy being in groups of children? I don't want to worry you, something just seems a little off.

Closed Thread