It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2007, 04:15 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
Question Problems with 4.5 year old Granddaughter

Not sure of what's going on. My 4.5 year old granddaughter is ruling the family. She screams at everyone and everything. Cries most of the day. Seems to be tired all the time. SHe is otherwise a wonderful ittle girl. Potty trained, Sleeps in her own bed, dresses herself and knows more than most kids in Kindergarten. reads somewhat, writes, recognizes all letters and Numbers. Her brothe rwho is 7 is very outgoing and she is a little shy and sensitive. Don't know if it's competition, if she seeks more attention. we all love her to death and try to spend as much time with her as her brother. Her mother is wonderful. Treats them both equally. When she's upset she 'll start screaming and crying that nobody likes her, she wants a new family. Whenever she has to wait a minute for her mother to help her with somethig it sets her off. It seems every little thing makes her scream and cry. I am at my wits end for her sake and my daughter's. Don't know if it's physical, emotional or if she is a spoiled brat. Any ideas?

ICC

Old 07-12-2007, 04:30 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: Problems with 4.5 year old Granddaughter

Might be worth having her checked out completely. She may have some underlying physical condition that is affecting her behaviour. Has anything changed in her life recently, (new teacher, new kids at kindy, something?) Is kindy OK, she isn't being bullied by another kid? This goes past any "brat" behaviour, something is distressing her. Take her to a Dr, and get her checked. Ask her about things outside the home that may be bothering her. Good luck, hope she is OK, Sera

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2007, 06:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Look up my post on sleep disorders link to ADD/ADHD on the ADD board. I think I posted here as well.. let me look and bump it if I did.

You say the child is tired all the time. Does she snore? Is she getting 10-12 hours of sleep a day. At her age if she snores she has sleep apnea.. most likely resulting from adnoid/tonsil obstruction. OSA is common in preschool aged children and extremely important and easy to treat. My son has severe sleep apnea even after a T&A, but so do I and my husband. However, before his diagnosis and recieving treatment; he was hypersensitive and behaved in a similar fashion. Since getting and using his CPAP he has changed in tolerance and can control his quick fire temper readily.

Common symptoms in sleep deprived children are as follows:
1) Untreated OSA can lead to heart failure and a recent link to SIDS has been identified.
2) Poor school performance
3) Uncontrollable mood swings and behavior
4) High blood count.
5) Chronic mouth breathing
6) Difficulty awakening
7) Bedwetting
8) Sleep Walking and Talking
9) Hyperactive behavior.. often misdiagnosed as ADD/ADHD.. but is an aactual attempt to stave off tiredness. (If they get still the fall asleep.. and young children hate to miss anything.. hyperactivity helps resist the urge to sleep)
10) Insomnia.

These symptoms all occur at different stages sleep deprivation. The first signs of chronic sleep deprivation show in behavior control and chronic tired and grumpiness. You can also think of it this way. If said child is getting only eight hours of sleep a night and her body only needs 10 a day to function, she is losing 2 hours of needed sleep a day and a whole nights worth of sleep every five days. You can not recover that sleep and it is necessary for maintaining health and growth and developement in a child that age.

I would recommend that you suggest she be checked out by and ENT or a ABSM (American Board of Sleep Medicine Certified) Physician as soon as possible. Sleep apnea is serios and most GP's (general practicioners - family medicine and pediatrician specializations), do not have the background to adequately diagnosis a sleep disorder. There are 80 sleep disorders and OSA is very common in young children. 6 out of 100 children have a sleep disorder, 2 out of 100 have OSA. Less than 1 in 5000 recieve the treatment they need. Often they are told it is a growth phase or that the child has ADD/ADHD. ADD/ADHD medications make sleep apnea worse in children and by the time they grow out of it they will have suffered an irrecoverable loss of growth and development. The earlier it is caught and treated the better the child's body has of recovering lost growth aand development.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 07-19-2007, 01:28 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Hi Seraph and MG....thank you for all the info. Sorry it took me so long to get back. I have spoken to my daughter and read her both of your posts. Her dad had to go away to another job for 3 months and is home now. My daughter talks to her everyday to see if something is bothering her. MY daughter is a stay home mom so is with them all the time. My grandaughter seem to be very sensitive and shy. Other than that she has made an appt. with her pediatrician as she will need a refferrel for an ENT, but is going to have a complete physical done and tell the Dr. her sleep habits and what her temperament has been like. Here;s hoping for some help and answers. I truly believe the child has multiple respiratory allergies and many food intolerances just as the rest of the family. I will right back after she sees the Dr.

ICC

Old 07-28-2007, 10:28 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Daughter took my grandaughter to her pediatrician yesterday. He gave her a nasal spray to reduce swelling in her adenoids. Also told her to have them x-rayed and then amke an appt. with an ENT. They will most likely have to come out if they;re that swollen. Thank you so much. Had I not received the answers I did we might have gone on thinking it was all a behaviour problem.

ICC

Old 07-30-2007, 01:00 PM   #6
(female)

declansmom HB User

I was going to respond the exact same thing. My two year old was going through awful behavior at 1. He finally had his adnoids out and is the exact opposite now. He has not been sick in so long. His adnoids were large enough to keep him from getting a full nights sleep. Glad you found something to start with. If she is on a nasal spray, then I would talk about having them out. It made the world of difference for my son.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:24 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Hi declansmom....Thanks for the support. My daughter will take her for the x-ray of the adenoids and take it from there. I don't know if the nasal spray(nasonex) has helped as it's only been a few days. We have heard of at least 5 children we know that had them out between 4-5 year old and what a remarkable difference. She has snored since birth so her pediatrician would like the x-ray done adn her to see an ENT before any more time goes by. Will update when we know. I am so glad I posted. My daughter was really starting to believe she was becoming a brat. Glad Nannie stepped in.

ICC

Old 07-31-2007, 08:28 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

The nasal spray will help more with inflamed nasal membranes, the enlarged adnoids will not change much as a result. When they are engorged the only choice is to get them out. Removal of the tonsils at the same time with a snorer is strongly recommended or you may have to go back for a second surgery. The adnoidectomy recovery is a breeze. Tonsillectomys are easier the younger you are. My son had adnoids out and 2 and 2 months at 3.5 he had to go and have his tonsils removed.. at 4 and 2 months he was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and given a CPAP.. now all is right and good again.

Sincerely,
MG

Closed Thread