It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2007, 03:03 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User
School oh boy dreading september

My Son, who was 5 last february, started school at 4.5 years. He was really really ready for it, and found he would be so bored with another year in creche/playschool.

But, most mornings he would decided to cry all be 2-3 minutes but it actually drives me spare. I know he is not upset, it is purely to get the teachers attention or the class room assistants attention. It is like oh lots of boys here and no-one is taking any notice of me. The teacher started paying more attention to him, but I feel this cannot continue especially now with a new teacher, he is going to start all over again.

I have tried everything............... My husband bringing him, Me bringing him,
telling him we would stay till the bell went. Trying going before the bell,
telling him if he cried he would go into the class himself and we would wait till he sat down. Ignoring it. Praising him, giving out, rewarding on the days he didnt cry, grounding him the days he did!!!!!!!!!!! Everything you name it we have tried. But Hey, the last day of school he didnt cry !!!

I really dont think I can start in September with all this crying again. It is pure attention but how how can I get him to stop.

Any advice gladly appreciated.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:11 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: School oh boy dreading september

Maybe he will surprise you and has grown out of it! Find out who his best friends are and deliver him to them, pointing out that they are not crying and are glad to see him. Peer example can be a great thing. Just matter-of-fact say goodbye and walk away. He knows by now that you will be back for him. If he is otherwise happy at school, just continue to play it down, and he WILL eventually stop (You don't see too many boys crying on the way into high school LOL). Sera

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2007, 06:07 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

Hi tried that too, I laughed when I say your reply as I said to my husband he wont be crying going to college, but at this stage we are wondering !!!!.

I know he will grow out of it, but it is just so frustrating, fine if he was unhappy or afraid, but its pure attention. He is an only child and I suspose he is just used to our attention all the time. He is quite happy to go of to friends houses and other people collect, Ijust hope he has grown up abit by september.

Thanks,
Round 1

Old 07-16-2007, 07:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

happymom28 HB User

My oldest did this when she started kindergarten this past year. We did all the things you did and some days it would happen and others it wouldn't. I just did my best to downplay it and it did eventually stop.

I know it is frustrating, but there really isn't much you can do to make them stop. Like a temper tantrum, do your best to try to ignore it and it should hopefully defuse itself.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:27 AM   #5
(female)

hereinwi HB User

I know you mentioned rewarding him, but what if you try to make a sticker chart for him? It would be great if you worked him up to using a chart even before school starts. He could help you make the chart and then a week or so before school starts you can hang it in his room or on the fridge. Then you could tell him each night before bed that school is starting and if he has a good day he will get a sticker, but if he cries he will not get one. Then at a certain amount of stickers he will earn a reward (with us it is going swimming, on a picnic, playing a board game etc) Then he will know that he will have your attention on him fully if he behaves.

It sounds like you have spent a lot of individual time with him, am I right?
My daughter and I have always worked together doing puzzles, games, coloring and art projects etc. and at times in school she acts up. I believe it is because she is crying out for that individual attention that a teacher obviously cannot give her, but I always have. Doing charts has helped her to remember that I plan to give her that extra attention, and that it is important to behave in school.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:43 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

Thank you, I started about 3 weeks ago doing happy faces on the calendar as he is normally a very placid child and well behaved, but we had a weekend of a "child from hell", he was just crankey about everything, I really didnt know what had got into him, but wasnt prepare to let it set in either !!!! (turned out he was coming down with something as he had a temp on the Monday of 104) so we decided to to this happy face thing and there was 17 of them at the weekend so he got a toy. Did'nt even thing of continuing this for school, thank you because if there is a cross face on the calender he is really upset and bends over backways to be good. So excellent will change tactics and use it for school aswell.

Thanks.
Round 1

Closed Thread