It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
(female)

Lonnie33 HB User
Red face I'm A New Caregiver... I Need advise

I am 38 years old and getting ready to care for my mom, who is 59.. YOUNG! She's had two heart attacks and two strokes, the secound one leaving her left side paralized. She has a hernia, and she's a bad diabetic and weighs over 300lbs. She has been living with my brother for the past year or longer, and he can know longer care for her, so she is moving in with me! I Love her dearly and can't wait to care for her, but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by the responsability it will put on me and my familly. I will be quitting my job, I have no idea what I'm doing, but don't see her going to a retirment home no way! I live in California and was wondering if any one knows of any benifits California holds for me. She can't dress or cook for her self, and can't go to the bath room alone or shower her self. is there any advise or assistance mentally and fincially that can help me ?

Lonnie

Old 09-30-2007, 04:10 AM   #2
(male)

Wato88 HB User
Thumbs up Re: I'm A New Caregiver... I Need advise

Hi Lonnie
You brother as you said is no longer taking care of your mother, this left you with no option but to care for your mother.Caring for parent is a blessing not everybody gets stop getting worried face the reality.
If you are not ready to post your mum to home for the elderly then be prepared to manage the requirement of the care.Make an informed decision share this with your family so that you bare the burden together.

Take care
Wato88

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2007, 10:53 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

cinemachick HB User
Re: I'm A New Caregiver... I Need advise

My mother cared for my grandmother when I was growing up. One thing I had to remind her was that my father and I were number one, and grandmother was number two. That may sound harsh, and I loved my grandmother, but it affected my dad and I profoundly.

What helped my mother was having someone care for my grandmother during the day and take her places and help her with doctor appointments. Towards the end of my grandmother's life, things got tougher, but fortunately, I was older and could take care of myself.

I'm just giving you another prospective. As much as I loved my grandmother living with me, it was very difficult. It was even worse when she passed away being that she lived in the same household as me.

Closed Thread