It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lex jude HB User
almost 2, problems adjusting to day care

Well, here is the thing. I've always been home with my son, and tried to work my shifts so the times that I work is when daddy would be home. He is my only child, and was never in day care before.

Recently, I took on a second job, and I needed to put him in day care twice a week. It's very new to him, and he is having a hard time adjusting! We had a schedule at home, but it was very loose and I never really made him clean up his toys or books. The day care he is going to is great and they have so many fun activities for the kids--but it's such a culture shock for him to be around other children and have a set schedule, and have to clean up after himself. I am so worried, and I feel so guilty for not being strict about that stuff before now!

Plus, I want to start a steady dayshift schedule, so I would be putting him in daycare all day, five days a week and I am worried about how he will react--one side of me thinks it will be better for him...but I am concerned that he will hate it!

He seems to enjoy daycare otherwise, and loves to play and interact, so it's not a social thing--

Any mothers want to give me advice or reassurance? He is my first and this is completely new ground for me! Thanks!

Old 07-19-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
Re: almost 2, problems adjusting to day care

I put my dd in daycare when she was 3 months old. At home she may stay on her head, but daycare personnal she really respects and listens. She even became a bit better at home, since they are teaching her to clean up after herself. So far she was at small private places with about 10 kids. I don't know about big places, but I am pretty sure he will have to listen to them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2007, 05:41 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Fillin HB User

Gal,
Speaking as a mother of three who put her first child in day care and as a preschool special education teacher for two years, I think your child will actually do better once you put him into day care 5 days per week. I think you are right that the change is difficult for him, but I have found that when the child gets the consistency of going 5 days a week, he becomes accustomed to it much quicker.
That's not to say he wouldn't eventually get used to a 2 day a week schedule, it would just probably take longer. Kids like to have regularity and know what is coming next.

Lisa

Old 07-20-2007, 11:38 AM   #4
(female)

1963IMB HB User
Smile Re: almost 2, problems adjusting to day care

All three of our children have been in daycare since they were very small, so we've seen other many other families come in with your exact concerns. 99% of the time the parents have a more difficult time adjusting than do the kids. It seems to be a guilt thing. Learning to function as part of a social peer unit will prove to be very rewarding for both you and your son. A regular schedule and simple requirements such as picking up his own toys give a child a sense of safety and pride. Hang in there! It will get easier.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lex jude HB User

You know, I am so glad you guys responded....I think a few of you hit the nail right on the head. I agree that going to day care five days a week is a good thing for my son. I guess I was just feeling guilty about placing him there (since I have been at home with him for so long it seems) and a bit skitterish about how his first reactions were.

Now that I think about it, learning to listen and cope with other sources of authority will be a good experience for him. Thank you so much for your reassurance

Closed Thread