It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
(female)

1963IMB HB User
7 YO Behavior Issues

Please help! Our 7 year old, who has up until recently always been my buddy, has become increasingly sullen and crabby over the last 6 months. He almost doesn't let me talk to him any more. When I try he cuts me off, whines and covers his ears. Last night he put a pillow over his head so he couldn't hear me - I was simply asking him to tell me if something was wrong. He cries at the drop of a hat and his behavior is being noticed by his peers. I can see that he's on the verge of being shunned and want desperately to help fix whatever is wrong. At first we thought he was tired, but we've been making sure he goes to bed at a reasonable hour. This hasn't helped. His pediatrician had him fill out some questionaires, but has not called us back with any results (he's a "no news is good news" kind of doc). it breaks my heart to see him this way, but the more I try to hlp, the farther away he pulls. Does anyone have any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2007, 09:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: 7 YO Behavior Issues

Hi:

Has anything major changed in his life in the last six months to a year? Is he sleeping through the night? Possible night terrors? Don't take this personally I am just throwing ideas out there. The way you are describing him it sounds like someone hurt him and he is mad at you for not protecting him. If I were you I would really consider taking him in to a therapist who can then figure out what is causing this sudden change in behavior.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2007, 12:05 AM   #3
(male)

MarkTS HB User
Re: 7 YO Behavior Issues

I'm with trg on this as well. First anything I say below isn't directed in any bad way okay. So onto trying to figure out what might be the problem. First is his dad living with you both. You didn't say so I'm assuming yes. So with that said have you and your partner been having fights lately (yelling at each other). I would assume not as I'm sure you would have said so.

If he doesn't have his dad around that could be the problem all the sudden at his age when it never was before. I also believe you would have said this as well. I'm just not the person to assume this stuff which is why I asked.

So if the above aren't the issue my guess it would be outside his home. So that could mean anything from a friend starting to be mean or maybe a bully. My next door neighbors son (8yo) had one of his friends pull his pants down in front of his friends (both boys and girls) that caused the same type of reaction as your ds. Some boys at that age can become very ashamed about this but will "not" tell his father and without a doubt tell his mother about it. This causes him to withdrawl from the opposite sex (ie you) quite a bit. Its quite a childish prank that kids do without understanding the real harm it can do to others.

Also this might cause him to withdraw from his friends which also results in "not" having his friends to play with which in turn makes things even worse.

The only problem with all the above is that this stuff in most cases doesn't last six months. Either way this is quite a sudden change in personality that has lasted long enough that whatever the problem is its severe enough to warrant seeing a doctor about it. Now if he was 12 years old and became this way I would say its puberty but as he is only 7 years old I cannot see a normal reason for this change.

Closed Thread