It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2007, 04:20 AM   #1
(female)

aussie_girl HB User
Worms??

To worm or not to worm??

To start off id like to ask how many if any of you 'worm' your kids. i have heard from a few people that you should routinly worm your children...and i know i went to school with a girl who used to tell me her parents wormed them all every 3 months i thought this was absolutely ridiculous and thought this only happened to animals but now i have a child i have been told myself.

i have a 3 yr old boy who has quite recently had a huge increase in appetite i cant stop him from eating, every 5 minutes he has food, people are telling me i should worm him as he could have worms but if he did wouldnt that show up in his faeces like float in the water or something which i have checked and saw nothing...
just wondering if you think this could be the issue or if there might be some other cause, my local gp has recently left and i havnt found another doctor yet as im quite picky and wait til i find a good one.. so hoping someone can help me here
thanks

Old 08-10-2007, 04:23 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: Worms??

Do you have a dog? Do you live in an area where there is any sort of livestock? Worming the kids is pretty easy now, I live in WA and we lived in the country for a few years. it was commonplace to worm the kids about twice a year. Its only a spoonful of gloopy stuff and saved a bit of worry. Cheers, Sera

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2007, 04:33 AM   #3
(female)

aussie_girl HB User

No, no dog only birds outside no livestock in the area either. so do you think it sounds like worms?? he does go to child care so could he have picked something up there?? and is this stuff available from pharmacy or something ive never seen it, thanks

Old 08-10-2007, 05:04 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

If he has worms, then yes, other kids are often a source. It can go through a school or daycare. It is is the pharmacies, one brand name is Combantrim. there are a few, I think. If it is just his appetite, I don't think worms will do that unless it is a huge tapeworm, and that is not common. He may just be having a growth spurt. The usual thing to watch for is him picking at or scratching his bottom, that is usually the first sign. Or you can whip down his pajama pants in the dark when he is asleep and shine a torch on his bottom, that is when you may see one. (eeeuuwww) Sera

Last edited by Seraph; 08-10-2007 at 05:09 AM.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:03 AM   #5
(female)

ashley558 HB User

i remember when me and my sister were little our mom would come in our room in the middle of the night to check for worms. sure enough we had them. our mom took us to the doctor and they said we most likely got it from school. like seraph said. if you think he might have them then go in at night and shine a flash light at his bottom.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User

My son had pin worms, but I never actually saw them. I checked every night.. Once he was treated by the doctor, he was fine

Old 08-11-2007, 03:50 AM   #7
(female)

aussie_girl HB User

thanks for all your advice i think i may just go and get the stuff to worm him in case, i guess it cant hurt can it and then atleast if it doesnt get better then that isnt the cause,

Thanks
Stacey

Old 08-12-2007, 05:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

brook65 HB User

I have had thread worms three times when I was a kid due to touching our cat and then eating without washing my hands etc.

The big tell tale sign for me was loss of weight, it is actually quite drastic and noticable considering they are only small. Also, I would see them when I went to the toilet.

I used to take a few tablets at the time, and that would get rid of them.

Closed Thread