It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2007, 06:30 AM   #1
(female)

nessany HB User
new to this board - my daughter has bipolar 1

hello everyone im on this board to try and get as much info on bipolar as i can.my daughter has bipolar 1 and just been put on abilify 5mg it has help her some what with her hallucation but yet she still has angry outbursts when she throws things and doesnt understand why she is so angry. i dont know how to help her,her dr say she has to put her on one meds at a time but it has gotten so mad that she was talking to some kind of thing that was telling her to hurt her brother and sister it seems like there is no ending to this she has even had to stop going to school can anyone give me some advise im really feeling like i dont know how too help her or if im doing the right thing so if anyone can relate to her or help me with advise please write a msg back

Old 11-17-2007, 07:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

langlee HB User
Re: new to this board - my daughter has bipolar 1

Welcome to the board. I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's struggles. How old is she?

My 17 year old son has bipolar and he has had some of the same issues as your daughter, although he has never heard voices. I can tell you that it takes time to find the right medications and often it is a combination of meds that help the most.

There are other mothers on this board that will be helpful to you, too.

Read and learn as much as you can. One of the books recommended alot is "Understanding the Mind of Your Bipolar Child" by Gregory Lombardo. He does a really good job of explaining this disorder.

Good luck and keep posting.

Always,

Hope

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2007, 07:07 AM   #3
(female)

Ivorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB User

Hi, Nessany I can sense the urgency in your post at how helpless you feel and believe me I know that feeling. Us mom's want to fix things as quickly as we can and Bipolar, although the most treatable of mental illnesses, takes alot of love and patience getting to the stability that lies ahead.

BP isn't like pneumonia or an infection that you have one or two meds that are used to make it better...it takes time to find the right combo since everybody's brain has different chemicals. In the BP brain that imbalance requires different meds to rebalance things which will work differently on each individual making it difficult to find a "one med fits all" scenario. And it also takes a combination of meds to do this which takes alot of time and patience.

My daughter has BP NOS (they have yet to differentiate whether it is BP I or BP II) and it took about a good year to find the right combo of meds for her. Good news is that she is now stable and doing well so there IS hope.

How old is your daughter?? And when you say that she is threatening to hurt her sibilings, is that before or after the med was started???

BP is a really scarey thing for us mom's to face but it gets easier as you gain as much insight to proactively help your daughter. Looks like you have already done that. Continue reading and visiting forums like this to gain the information and support from others who are in the same situation as you.

I have found a wealth of support in other moms and am sure that you will too.

Feel free to ask any questions or concerns that you may have. It isn't as scarey when you have others around to help carry you through.

There are a few other mom's here who I am sure will chime in.

I am here for you. ~ IG

Last edited by Ivorygirl; 11-17-2007 at 07:12 AM.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:07 AM   #4
(female)

Amanda06 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessany View Post

hello everyone im on this board to try and get as much info on bipolar as i can.my daughter has bipolar 1 and just been put on abilify 5mg it has help her some what with her hallucation but yet she still has angry outbursts when she throws things and doesnt understand why she is so angry. i dont know how to help her,her dr say she has to put her on one meds at a time but it has gotten so mad that she was talking to some kind of thing that was telling her to hurt her brother and sister it seems like there is no ending to this she has even had to stop going to school can anyone give me some advise im really feeling like i dont know how too help her or if im doing the right thing so if anyone can relate to her or help me with advise please write a msg back
Hi:
Sounds like the med., Abilify NOT really helping your daughter. Most of time, psycho. med. takes some time, from right next day to 1 - 2 wks., however angry side of your daughter needs to be under control.

In my knowledge, Abilify is reputable for Bipolar I which has similarity to shizo. in some range, due to psychotic, delutional and etc. Also, sounds like your daughter's angry burst is manic side of Bipolar. Bipolar has two spectacles, depression and manic. On this scale, your daughter's BP is more manic than depression.

Normally, pdoc. starts on a low dosage of psycho. med., due to powerful effect with nasty side-effect(for some folks). First, talk to psycho. doc. regarding your daughter's current medical situation, angry without any good reasons. Any rageous/angry outburts is quite scary, not only her siblings also herself.

Reading your post twice, .... it sounds to me like your daughter needs either more dosage of Abilify or other anti-psycho. med. for her BP. It's needed to be some calming effective med. for her rage/angry.

As two responses, above, it takes quite some time for BPs to get under control. However, first thing you need to do as for the Mom, whether your daughter gets some relief after the Abilify 5mg. If there is ONLY slight improvement or no help on her angry-side, then you may call her psycho.doc. ASAP.

Closed Thread