It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2007, 04:03 PM   #1
(female)

nessany HB User
hello everyone need help - daughter is bipolar

just want to ask someone a few questions on bipolar I my daughter is 16 yrs old and i was told she has bipolar I with Psychosis she has manic episode when she gets very anger and throws thing but doesnt remember doing it afterwards most of the times it only happens in the nite she has had Hallucinations of some kind of thing going inside of her and telling her to do harmful things to her sibling can anyone tell me is this caommon in bipolar she on meds but only on abilify 5mg twice a day can anyone please give me some advise cause her dr is no help please

Old 11-18-2007, 09:58 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

mznell HB User
Re: hello everyone need help - daughter is bipolar

Is your daughter under the care of a psychiatrist? The behavior you describe is not uncommon in those who have bipolar 1. Certainly not all have periods where they behave this way, but it is not uncommon. It would be helpful if you could provide more information about your daughter, like how long ago she was diagnosed, whether she has been on other meds, etc. Her aggressive behavior that she then has no memory of is usually a sign of mania. It doesn't sound like she has found the right med or combination of meds yet. If she is behaving like this, having psychotic episodes and having periods where she doesn't remember what she has done, she is exhibiting some of the same signs as a bipolar individual who has not yet found the medications that are right for him/her. She is far from being stabilized.

I would think you would want to go back to the doctor and make sure he/she understands what is going on with your daughter. If the pdoc is unwilling to work with you, I suggest you look for a different one.

I would also suggest that you read and learn as much as you can about bipolar disorder so that you can be an advocate for your daughter. There is good, factual information about the disorder, various treatments and the medications used in treatments on the NAMI website ([url]www.nami.org[/url]). This is a national organization that has state and local chapters that provide education and support. NAMI is a wonderful resource for information and referrals; they also offer support groups for a variety of mental illnesses, different age groups, etc. The website will give you a list of locations near where you live.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2007, 06:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

langlee HB User

Dear Nessany,

Since you are new to the boards, I wanted to make sure you saw the responses on your other thread, too. There are quite a few mothers on this board with bipolar children.

I know you'll get a lot of support here.

Hope

Old 11-19-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
(female)

Amanda06 HB User

Hi:
Manic occurring most of time, during night, both Bipolar I and II, as you've been witnessing already.

I truly understand your overwheling emontion and feelings over your daughter's Bipolar I with psychotic. Sounds to me like she was recently dx'ed and you, the Mom and also your daughter, herself does not know about Bipolar well. Unfortunately, Bipolar is a life-long and also a long and hard-road journey to get under control, next to Schizophrenia.

Along with the NAMI as suggesting, above, it's also a local mental illness support group or exclusively teen-Bipolar web-support-sites might be a BIG help.

Furthermore, Bp may get worse if untreated and NOT-right medication/med. combo she's on. Normally, any newly-dx'ed Bipolar are needed frequent visits, twice weekly to her pdoc., becauuse her pdoc. needs to know whether rx'ed med./Abilify is truly working on her. As reading your two threads on this board, it sounds to me like she needs A.P. combo., like Abilify and Zyprexa. Zyprexa is said to be calming effect while Abilify is effective to Bp I manic, such as psychosis. Besides, Zyprexa is so calming that most of folks sleep all nights without interruption/bathroom. Unlike healthy folks, any mental illnesses needs sound and good night sleep with at least 8 hours', that is said to help brain chemical. Also, daily excercise, like walking and biking for good blood circulation to the brain.

In my suggestion, you, as the Mom, call her pdoc. not twice, even more to explain about an urgencyof your daughter's unstable and angry outbursts.

There are a number of pdocs., however severe mental illnesses such as Schizo and Bipolar needs a good and EXPERT pdoc., who is capable to find a right med. combo. with less side-effects. Everyone's brain chemical is so different that one med. works on is not necessary to work on other Bipolars.

Plese post back if there is question/questions to ask.

Last edited by Amanda06; 11-19-2007 at 09:39 AM. Reason: misspelled

Closed Thread