It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 08:33 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User
7 year old stays up too late

Hi,

My son, who will be turning eight next month, has developed the habit of reading in bed after we leave him in his room at night. Last night, he was awake and reading Harry Potter at 10 p.m. (his bedtime is 8:30). As much as we want to encourage his independent reading, we think it has to be detrimental for him to be losing so much sleep (he used to fall asleep pretty much between 8:30 and 9, and he almost always pops up out of bed ready to go right at 7 a.m. - weekday or weekend. But I have noticed he seems a bit tired in the morning these days.

Any advice? And unplugging the lamp isn't a good option, as he's scared of the dark and always goes to sleep with it on (we turn it off before we go to bed).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User
Post Re: 7 year old stays up too late

are you sure he's still scared of the dark, or is that an excuse for you to leave the light on so he can read?

a lot of kids love to read, but they love to play more so they won't stop and read until they are forced to quit playing. you could try stopping playtime a bit earlier and give him a designated reading time before bedtime.... not that he would HAVE to read at that time, but that if he wants to read, this is when he can.... and of course anytime before that designated time is fine too.... but that after bedtime is declared, there is no more reading or playing at all! that way, you're encouraging him to read, but you're also teaching him self discipline by helping him to follow that "there is a time and a place for everything rule...."

good luck!

Last edited by mcr285; 01-23-2008 at 10:09 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 04:48 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User
Re: 7 year old stays up too late

Put him to bed a bit earlier, allow him to read, and at 8:30 p.m. take the book away and tell him it is time to go to sleep.

I agree that he needs his sleep. It is so important. Lack of sleep in children can interfere with grades and behavior.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

happymom28 HB User

I would try putting him to bed a little earlier and allow that earier time to be reading time. Turn out the lamp at 8:30 and put on a night light instead. A night light should be good enough light to help him not be scared, but not enough light to allow the late night reading session.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User

Thanks for the good suggestions everyone.

We've been letting him read till 9 and then shutting off the light. Does this sound too late? (He just turned eight this weekend - can't remember what time I went to bed when I was that age).

Old 04-10-2008, 07:38 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Heavnlyhart2 HB User

That is good that your child wants to read....
The time is by your discretion based on how much he is motivated in the morning...if he gets up without any problems then time is ok for him. However, if he is kinda sluggish in the morning may have to set time back in 30min intervals to see how he adjusts to it.

Closed Thread