It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
5 year old acting as a baby

My 5 year old wants me to help her to dress in the morning. When I pick her up from a daycare, she wants me to feed her and carry her around on my back. Should I stop it?

Old 03-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: 5 year old acting as a baby

Hi Galinaqt: Has she always been this way or did it just start happening? If she is suddenly doing these things, there may be several reasons why. Could you post back with some more details? Thanks, cmpgirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

maggieloop HB User

Has there been any changes in the household? Maybe she just wants moretime with mom. My kids start to get kinda clingy when they are getting sick.

I'd enjoy them wanting to spend time with you now, because when they start to get older they will eventually never want to be seen with us....

Old 03-21-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

I know that daycare provider has some little babies now. Other than that I don't think anything is different. I am a very busy mom. It is really hard on me when she acts like that.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

maggieloop HB User

Maybe it has to do with the new babies at daycare since they require more attention. Your comment of being a busy mom and it being hard on you kind of disturbs me.

Your daughter is only 5 and maybe she is just trying to get some of your time and this is the only way that she knows how to do it. Please don't take that the wrong way, I'm not implying that you're a bad mom in any way. Have you taken on a lot of extra work or anything lately?

I know that it's hard to work and take care of the kids--I have a 4yr, 2yr and 8 month and worked up until 8 months ago--but this time shall pass and it will get easier. Do you have any other support at home to help out?

Old 03-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

I have to agree wholeheartedly with Maggieloop about the new babies at daycare. Many times when a new baby shows up, even when it's not at home, a lot of toddlers/pre-schoolers get that sense of not getting the same attention they got before.

Generally, if you try to focus on pointing out her "big girl" behaviors, and telling her you are proud of those things, she'll realize she can still get the attention she needs or wants, by acting her age.

Have the daycare providers noticed her acting babyish when she is there? I wouldn't be surprised if their answer was yes.

Maybe even giving her some simple "chores" at home and telling her that you are giving her these responsibilities because you know she is big enough to start doing more "important things", she will feel proud of earning your confidence in her, and start acting like a big girl again.

Best of luck and if you try some of these things, let us know how she responds. cmpgirl

Old 04-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Heavnlyhart2 HB User

my baby girl now 15 sometimes acts like a baby at times it is a form of wanting attention once I recognize this behavior I ignore the "behavior" NOT her its understanding this difference because if I show her attention while acting like this she will do it all the time and I wont allow it. I try to allow my time with her which I tend to by helping her with her homework or watching a movie together which is some quality time that is better than none. My oldest children two boys ages now 19 and 16 I would involve them when I had to deal with my daughter and my middle son and done it with my two boys before my daughter was born I would say "You want to be a big brother and help mom change your sister's/brothers diaper" he/they would sit by me and watch and they helped even when they wanted to throw the diaper away I would say that is a good big brother for helping and gave them hugs. but I talked normal like I would an adult not baby talk not at all. My suggestion to you would be find ways to involve your dghtr in your daycare with other children this would help make her feel important when the day care is done when at home and then give her a hug and say to her you know what you was a really big help helping mom out today give me a hug , youll see a smile on her face good luck

Closed Thread