It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User
Single Mom with one child going away to college

I am a single mom of a wonderful 17 year old son. He has been accepted to college 2 states away. He is excited about going and we are busy making all the plans and filling out all the forms required to get everything finalized. I have always encouraged him to go away to school (I did and it was a great experience) and I am so proud of him and his accomplishments!

However, he is my only child and I am feeling the expected pull in 2 directions. I truly do want him to go and have this wonderful experience. I believe that our jobs as parents are to prepare our children to be responsible, productive adults, and that it is normal and healthy for him to develop a life of his own. When he hesitated about going away, I got him to admit it was because he was worried about leaving me alone. I have had some very serious health issues and have been hospitalized several times. But I told him to please go ahead and plan his future and don't worry about me because I am tough and will be just fine! But I am feeling the tug on my emotions. I told him that I did feel this, but that it was normal and not to think I wanted him to stay with me. I plan to move the next state over, so I will be somewhat nearby (2 1/2 hours away) but still far enough away to let him have his life. Plus, I have always dreamed of moving to that area and the fact that he will be nearby is a big plus.

Does anyone have advice on how to keep busy in my own life so I don't spend my time pining away over missing my (grown-up) baby? We obviously are extremely close due to it only being the 2 of us, but I think I need to find my own things to do so I don't accidentally cling to him and hold him back. I am currently in a casual relationship that will end when I move, but I would like some suggestions on how to keep busy and also how to meet new people in a new state.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread