It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2008, 06:54 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mary09 HB Usermary09 HB Usermary09 HB User
Kindergarten question....need advice

Hi there,

My son is 4 1/2, we live in Canada. He has been in a preschool since he was 2 1/2, two days a week. In September, he is set to start Senior Kindergarten. I am very nervous about it. The thing is, that this will only be for one year, as they are building a new school at the end of my street, that will be ready for "next" year, which would be Grade One. For this interim year, I had the choice of leaving him in the preschool where he is (which is very convenient, and is in my building), or putting him in an actual public school. He is a very sensitive child, and doesnt mix easily with other kids. The preschool unfortunately has a very varied age group so there are only a few kids his age, most of them are younger...lets say 3 years old. His little friends will also be off to different schools in September.
This new school is not in our area, I'm really worried to take him there in September, I know in my gut he is going to go through alot of anxiety. It would I know be a little easier if it was the school on my street, as it's familiar territory and his grandparents would be close by.
I have struggled with whether or not to leave him in the preschool for this year, rather than make him "change" and then "change" again next year. "Learning" wise, he is better off at the public school, as all the kids will be his age....but I'm thinking that "anxiety" wise, he would be more comfortable where he is. I'm scared I will be doing the wrong thing by not putting him in Senior Kindergarten and just waiting till Grade 1. I just want to do whats best for him.
I always try to speak positively of school, never let him feel my concerns so they dont rub off on him. I only have a couple of weeks to make up my mind on this, I would really love some advice from a fellow parent.

Thanks so much,
Carsam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User
Re: Kindergarten question....need advice

I can understand your worry; is he your first to go? That's tough right there.
Will the kids there also be going to his school next year for 1st grade? That will make a difference also. If so, he'll know kids then.
You know your child best. If you really feel he'll have difficulty adjusting, maybe it is best he stays where he is for another year.
Then again as you said, there is more to offer at this new school and he'll be around kids his own age. Socialization is also a very important part of school. Do they have an open house night where you could take your son there to look around? If not, possibly call the school and see if you could take a tour soon before deciding.
Hopefully someone on here will be in your shoes and offer some help.
Good luck. And you remember, you know what's best!

Old 08-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: Kindergarten question....need advice

I've found that kids adjust much better than we parents do. Usually if we don't make a big deal about things and present them in a positive way, kids just roll right with it. Good luck with the new school year and make it a positive and fun thing no matter where he goes.

P.S. I went to 4 different first grades in 1 year. My dad was in the Army and we moved a lot. I'm pretty well adjusted, I think........

Take care and relax!

Closed Thread