It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 04:59 AM   #1
(female)

scooter111 HB User
why children pull out their eyelashes?

why children pull out their eyelashes?

My daughter is now 12 but started pulling her eyelashes out at age 10- she still does it time periods- she will go 6 months not pulling them out and then one day I will notice them mssing again, like a lot, almost gone in fact- I never looked this up and I never thought there could be an issue behind this, I thought she was just being well stupid if I am being honest, Now I feel terrible, I am not sure how I should approach this? I do not want to scare her and I do not want to take her to a doctor, we have a normal life with normal stresses. I have asked her why she does this and she responds-

Old 09-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
(female)

andiesq70 HB User
Re: why children pull out their eyelashes?

The term they use for children pulling out hair, whether it's eyelashes, eyebrows, twisting of hair, etc. is Trichotillomania. It is said that with a child your age it may be because of stress, habit, or being anxious. Even if you have a 'normal' home situation, it is hard to say there is not something happening at school or how a child is actually feeling. At this age it is not always easy for them to express feelings or what might be troubling them. I would talk with my family doctor about it and see what they recommend before I took her in for an appointment (just my opinion). Good luck to you both.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

negot HB Usernegot HB User

Hi, I would talk to somebody alone without bringing your daughter. Try to get some advice first and then if the therapist or whomever you talk to needs to meet with her, you can bring her.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
(female)

scooter111 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiesq70 View Post
The term they use for children pulling out hair, whether it's eyelashes, eyebrows, twisting of hair, etc. is Trichotillomania. It is said that with a child your age it may be because of stress, habit, or being anxious. Even if you have a 'normal' home situation, it is hard to say there is not something happening at school or how a child is actually feeling. At this age it is not always easy for them to express feelings or what might be troubling them. I would talk with my family doctor about it and see what they recommend before I took her in for an appointment (just my opinion). Good luck to you both.
I suppose I can do that, I was just fearing that there may be something bigger bothering her, I think I will make that call today, its so hard to believe she could have a disorder or a problem, she is almost 12, very popular and is running for class president, she is head on her soccer team and gets great grades, whew, I wish I knew....for sure...
Thank you for your response.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:45 AM   #5
(female)

scooter111 HB User

Thank you for your opinion and time, I did not think I would get a reply-
Thank you again.....

Old 09-25-2008, 09:21 AM   #6
(female)

andiesq70 HB User

Hi Scooter, she sounds like an amazing young lady but we sometimes forget about how stressful it was to be a teenager! Not only is she trying to live up to hers and your standards (grades, popularity, sports, etc.) but her peers also. I have worked in Middle and Jr. High schools and see how students interact, I do not envy them and think it's much more difficult nowadays than when I was growing up. My daughter is very high stress with school, friends, hers and our expecations, etc. It would be nice if we could just snap our fingers and make things better for them! Let us know what happens and take care.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
(female)

scooter111 HB User

I wish it was that easy. She is usually very up front with me when she has a problem.
I know she is growing up and well with that comes "PUBERTY" EWWWW.
She understands things change and we are dealing with some unfortunate news which I believe may be playing a part in the start of this again, my mom is sick- Cancer and it is not good and I am trying to help my daughter understand what this means.
She just thinks evryone is immortal and nothing bad will happen.
I think we will sit down and have a long talk over pizza and mommy time.
Mybe that will help give me some insight. I will write again soon...Thank you so much!

Old 09-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #8
(female)

andiesq70 HB User

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom Scooter, I can't even imagine what you or your family is going through and it makes sense that this could have been a trigger for her to start pulling out eyelashes. That sounds like a terrific idea for time together and I'm glad you have that type of relationship with your daughter-----mine is the same! Look forward to hearing from you soon!

Closed Thread