It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
(male)

kelticman HB User
5 year old hissy fits over clothes - advice needed

Hi - I am seeking advice for dealing with my 5 year old girl who has hissy fits and tantrums over getting dressed for school. Basically she complains that none of her clothes fit, or don't match, or the label sticks out, or whatever reason. We have tried forcing the clothes she wears, letting her choose them and even taken her shopping so she can pick out her on clothes. Even with the latter a few days later she's having a mega-tantrum over wearing them. This typically results in one of us holding her down to get dressed then dragging her to the car without shoes etc. She then screams the entire way to school and sometimes we have to take her to her classroom while she's still crying. The weird thing is this doesn't happen every day so we thought perhaps it was lack of sleep, or something going on at school that causes this, but most of the time she starts the day in a great mood and it's only when it's time to get dressed we see this problem.

Is this typical behavior of a 5 year old girl? Is it that we are lacking structure or discipline to prevent this behavior going forward, and if so what are the best methods for dealing with a situation like this?

Any advice really appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User
Re: 5 year old hissy fits over clothes - advice needed

My 5 year old daughter also very fussy about clothes. She told me that all last year clothes are ugly. I bought her what she wants. Long sleeve t-shirts with picture on it plus pants no jeans. I let her choose what she wants. Sometimes she wants to wear same things for a week. Sometimes she doesn't want to wear stuff she chose herself. Overall, as long as she wears matching the weather stuff I let it be. We have problem with going to bed and so on. She normally has tantrums coming home after daycare.
May be your daughter has problems at school? Can you talk to the teacher?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

negot HB Usernegot HB User

My kids used to fuss over clothes. I do think it is lack of structure and discipline. Give her two choices, no more. As soon as she doesn't fuss, keep reinforcing that by telling her how nicely she listens and how she wears her clothes without fussing. Take every opportunity to bring up her good behavior, do not mention the bad. Mention this at least 10 times a day, how well she listens and doesn't fuss. I recently learned this method and it works. Even when she screams, as soon as she stops to catch her breath, tell her how proud you are over her because she doesn't scream at the moment. Constantly reinforce her good behavior. Good luck.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

My child is 5 and we have difficulties getting him to bed at a reasonable time, so when morning comes, he dawdles, drags his feet, is a little more sensitive. He does throw a hissy fit from time to time, but it's VERY short lived and by the time we get to preschool, he's usually smiling and happy.

What about getting your child's clothes ready the night before? I do that for myself, otherwise I'm standing in front of my closet trying to figure it out.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

galinaqt HB User

It doesn't work for my daughter. She wants to wear something totally different next morning. It is just a matter of luck. My neighbour has one daughter who makes a fuss about clothes, another who wears anything they gave her. But, no harm in trying.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:21 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

tlhalabama HB User

My DD just recently turned 6. She has been fussing about her clothes for the past year and a half. The tag itches, design in the shirt feels too rough, button on jeans hurts, etc...

We always had a morning fuss. Finally, I took the following steps:

1. I took her shopping to feel and pick out all her clothes.
2. She picks out her clothes/shoes the night before.
3. We have scheduled out our night. Homework, playtime, bath, tv time, and then bed by 8:30. My DD likes the schedule. She likes to know what's next.

She is now getting the proper rest for more pleasant mornings and if there is any fussing over clothes, it can be done the night before when we have time to deal and make changes, which is now few and far between.

I honestly do not know if any of the above helped our situation or if she is just maturing.

Good luck.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:46 PM   #7
(female)

tlcthemom HB User

Hi there! Sounds like you and I both have a) strong willed children and b) child with a control issue, neither of which I think are negative if we can just figure out how to parent these little personality types. My 5 year old boy decided a while back he would only wear Levi's & I thought that would remedy his fits. Now I'm beginning to think it was a control issue? I wonder if your little one is an early bday, big kindergartener also? This is bringing an enitrely new slate of issues and behaviors to my mommydom !!
My boy also has dawdle issues and is very emotional at seemingly irrational times which makes me wonder if anger/frustration is really his issue? Perhaps research on emotional immaturity and anger may glean some answers for us? I'm at times at my wits end with some of the behavior of this age, and am on this site for that reason !!!

Closed Thread