It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
(female)

dwren HB User
2 year old extreme behavior

My husband and I recieved custody of his 5 year old daughter and 2 year old son about 4 months ago. At first his son Bryce acted very good, sweetest little boy in the world. After about a month though he began to start acting out. I know they call this stage the terrible two's but his behavior is worse than most 2 year olds that I have seen. He hits, kicks, bites, screams, everything is his and he loves the word no. He is in time out at the very least 20 times a day. He is disrespectful and mean to eveyone even strangers. I have tried various techniques of dicipline and nothing is working. I am at my whits end and I can't find any answers. I am hoping that someone out there has dealt with extreme behavior from children his age, what do I do to help this child learn to be good and respectful, to share and to love. How do you teach someone to not be violent when they are upset, especially someone so young?

Old 01-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User
Re: 2 year old extreme behavior

Could it be the child is having adjustment issues? How is the older sibling adapting to the new environment? I am certain that at first,, it was a novelty to have a new home, new routine, new toys, new rules, etc, but as it became more routine than novelty, behavior undoubtedly will change. I would try a little one on one and even try to make a party atmosphere of some special activity to make the adjustment a fun experience. Some children do better with praise than punishment. Even at two years old, it is acceptable to give a choice. For instance of what to wear among two choices, or a choice of two games to play. Giving a little of the decision making may make the child more confident and hopefully compliant to other rules. Structure is a big thing to children, as is being consistent. A regular bedtime ritual, having dinner with the whole family, and sharing time with your children all help with shaping a child's behavior. Getting the children involved in the day to day activities, even if it takes them a little longer to do something or maybe not to your standards, gives them a sesne of accomplishment and cohesiveness. Seeing that this is a new role for you and your spouse, it takes time to make adjustments like these. It will not happen overnight. Try to be patient as the children try to find their place in your family. Best of luck to you all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread