It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 07:52 AM   #1

daniellindsey78 HB User
How to get your baby to sleep in its own bed

How to get your baby to sleep in its own bed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User
Re: How to get your baby to sleep in its own bed

You put them in their own bed and let them cry it out. I know that's tough, but this is one of the reasons I never recommend sleeping with a child to begin with. From the first day they come home from the hospital, they need to be in their own bed when they are sleeping. It's safer for them and it establishes independant sleeping habbits right from the get go. A little encouragement never hurts. Rub their back for a minute, let them know your their. Possibly try one of those aquariums that strap to the side and have lights and soothing noises or a mobile above the crib to spark some interest. Have a ritual that you go through everytime, such as a feeding in a rocking chair thats in their room, next to their crib so they get used to being in there and know what's comming. Other then that, the fact is, if they are used to sleeping with you, they are going to cry at first no matter what lengths you go to so that they are comfortable. They have to cry it out. There really isnt any other way. Hope that helps some.
Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
(female)

karensk HB User

I would recommend the tips in the No-Cry Sleep Solution book, as some of them were very helpful to me. They are also very gentle compared to many methods. Dr. William Sears also has some nighttime parenting books which touch on this issue.

Little babies are biologically geared to not sleep too deeply and to need to eat around the clock. Moms have higher prolactin levels and generally higher milk supplies during the middle of the night.

I personally refused to do anything that involved crying it out or not attending to my babies' needs. All of mine slept alone at some point, two much sooner than their brother did.

Good luck! This too shall pass

Old 03-04-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Well it depends...how old is baby and what have you been doing up until now? I guess I always had them in their own bed but right next to me in a i had them in a bassinet right next to our bed since they had to have their milk so often in the night and i could just reach over and pat them or whatever when they were fussy. But as they get older and sleeping through the night somewhat then i moved them into their own room. I'm not so sure i would just let them cry anymore because i had a couple of kids that never stopped crying. They had colic and it was hard on them to just cry and cry but some are of the opinion to just let them cry. I think i would try some different approaches and do a little research on how others are doing things these days rather than just to let them cry. good luck this is not an easy thing sometimes to deal with.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User

Good point Ann, I assumed this was an older baby that had been sleeping with the parents. I did keep a cradle in my room for about the first 5 weeks, right next to my bed so I had easy access for feeding and meeting their needs.

Closed Thread