It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User
2 yr old wants to be a baby

My daughter is 2. She is the oldest of 4 kids at daycare. She has no interest in the potty, which is fine, and I'm not pushing her. But when I mention to her that if she wore underpants and peepeed on the potty she wouldn't have to have diapers anymore.....She wants diapers. Any mention of being a "big girl", I am quickly corrected, " I a baby". Is this normal or should I try to get her around kids closer to her age? Is it because of the babies she's around or just a stage? Thanks!

Old 05-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
Re: 2 yr old wants to be a baby

Sounds normal to me. The average age for completing toilet training is 33 mos for girls and 36 months for boys.

One thing you might try is to buy a package of "cheaper" diapers that aren't quite as absorbent. Your daughter will be able to feel the wetness and staying fresh and dry may become more appealing.

Also, with summer approaching, it's a good time to let kiddos run naked in the backyard, if you have one. They get the idea of cause and effect really fast that way. My daughter toilet trained herself using that method at around 2.5.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Cheaper diapers that aren't as absorbent is a great idea (wish I'd thought of it!). Another thing you might do is start talking about things your daughter will be able to do when she is a big girl, and really play it up.

My second child never wanted to do big girl things until I started talking about, "I can't wait until we get to (insert something FUN).... oh, that's right, you're still a baby. Never mind, we'll have to wait and do that when you're a big girl." From things like who wants to help set the table, to who wants to sit in a booster without straps (sitting at the table!!! NOT in the car, obviously!!!), to who wants to go to a water park..... all things for "big girls," that I knew she would LOVE to do, but gosh, couldn't do while she was still a baby.

I never wanted my girls to grow up too fast though. The "big girl" things I wanted them to do were simple milestone type things like giving up the bottle (at 2 1/2) and potty training (between 2 1/2 and 3), and giving up the binky (around 2 1/2). Even with those milestones accomplished, I made sure they knew that snuggling and cuddling and rocking with Mommy were perfectly acceptable big girl activities and didn't ever have to quit even when they were big (my 6 year old will still rock with me!).

ANYWAY.... that is how I enticed my middle child how embrace the idea of doing big girl things.

As far as daycare and kids her own age, and her saying she's a baby.... have you talked to her daycare teacher about this? Could her teacher be putting that idea in her head as a way to avoid potty training, and other big girl milestones? I knew a few teachers that would loudly complain about their role as teachers, and how these kids were just babies, etc.... it might be something worth looking into.

Her behavior normal to a point.... usually there is someone or something putting the idea in a child's head, that it's better to be a baby. Like if there is a baby at daycare and the teacher is saying, "I can't pay attention to you because I need to deal with the baby...." Or if a child doesn't have to clean up because they are, "just a baby," or if there is a child who gets special meals because they're, "just a baby." Things like that can put ideas in a child's head that being a baby is the better way to go. Again, it's something that might be worth looking into at daycare.

Anyway, hope something here could help!

Old 05-13-2010, 06:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User

Thanks for the great replies....love these boards!

Closed Thread