It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2003, 12:56 PM   #1

Cheryl3 HB User
Post How many bowel movements per day is normal for a 2 year old?

Don't really feel comfortable asking questions or sharing opinions on this board anymore, but thanks to everyone for all of the great advice! Happy trails!

[This message has been edited by Cheryl3 (edited 04-10-2003).]

Old 02-16-2003, 05:52 PM   #2

msrivers HB User
every child is different. Ask your pediatrician about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2003, 11:11 PM   #3
Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
he's probably holding them in...I just can't imagine 5 times per day...

Old 02-17-2003, 04:13 AM   #4

mommyof5 HB User
I think 4-5 times a day and soft is a little much, perhaps he has a mild lactose intolerance. cut down on dairy and foods with lactose for a feww days and see if it makes a difference, by the way there's even lactose in french fries!

About the training, I am also training my almost 3 year old son. He started about 2-3 weeks ago and is doing great so far, he figured out both the pooping and peeing but his accidents are with the peeing, the pooping part is excellent.
I have also been told (numerously) that the peeing is supposed to come first and that the pooping takes a little while longer but all 5 of my kids learned pooping first http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

let us know if taking away lactose for few days helps. You can buy lactaid pills that you put in milk and leave it cure for 24 hours, cheaper than buying the carton of milk - I did this with my eldest when she was between 1-3 years old. She outgrew the lactose intolerance around 5-6 years old and she is now only slightly affected when her system is down (a cold, lack of sleep,etc) she's soon to be 12.

Also I'm curious what kind of formula your son had as a baby? or did you breastfeed? Because my eldest was extremely colicky and had very loose stools as an infant and baby she was put on soy based formula (but it makes them gassy - they just toot away!). Since she was lactose intolerant all my other babies were put on either a soy based formula or the one with cows milk but with the lactose removed.

mommyof5

Old 02-17-2003, 10:37 AM   #5

Cheryl3 HB User
I doubt he is holding it in because he's had frequent stools ever since he was born. I know this is normal for breastfed infants, but it continued even after I stopped. I breastfed him exclusively for 2 weeks, at which point I started supplementing with formula because he was literally, medically starving (still below birth weight and dehydrated. He has a minor jaw deformity that made it difficult for him to get the milk out when breastfeeding).

He had a lot of constipation when I first started giving him regular formula, but my doc told me to add a little Karo syrup to it, which worked like a charm. I do think he was mildly colicky, but soy formula didn't seem to make any difference. I think it's just his personality!

He is extremely hyper so maybe everything just goes through him really fast. He never seems to have gas or complain of a stomach ache, but he is generally pretty irritable. I always thought he just inherited my husband's "short fuse," but maybe there is something going on with him nutritionally or metabolically.

I'll try cutting out lactose for a few days and see how it goes. I'm also wondering about a gluten intolerance (celiac disease). I guess I'll just cut out different food groups one at a time and see if anything changes. Thanks for the advice!

------------------
Cheryl

Closed Thread