It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2003, 12:46 PM   #1

yoga1st HB User
Post leaving kids in car for 1 minute,, is it illegal?

ok to start off i live in a very very small ~natural ~alternative~organic~ close knit ~ type town everybody knows everybody all the store clerks know me by name and i have lived here since 91'a few weeks ago i left my 4 kids in the car while i ran into the small convineice store to grab a pop , i could see my kids thru the window and i was in and out of there plus my oldest is 10, when i left the store this old man reamed me and said he was even going to turn me in for neglect i mean he was so mad he was shaking!
if i was in any other town or city i would never have left the kids in the car but this is the store walking distance from my house, the whole front is windows, and i have eye contact with them while in the store,my older two kids even walk there by themselves and yesturday when i went back there ~ kids waiting in the car again~ the clerk told me that guy actually called the cops and he couldn't beleive it
so my question is not whether you would personally leave your kids in the car because i think every situation is different ~ but if it is actually illegal or not, i tried looking online but all i found were the dangers of kids dying from heat from being left and i doubt that would happen in the minute it takes to buy a pop
yoga

Old 07-09-2003, 04:03 PM   #2
Inactive

~airforcewife~ HB User
Arrow

Yes, it is very illegal! If someone does call the police, you will not get off with a warning, they will arrest you and charge you with child neglect and endangerment. It does not matter if you are in the store for 30 seconds or 30 minutes, in the eyes of the law, it's illegal.

The best thing that you can do as a mother is call your police dept. and find out the law. Some places have time limits...in my area, if your child is 6 or over, you can leave them for 2 minutes alone in the car, as long as you are clearly able to see your car. But, you can't leave a child 6 or over alone if there are other children in the car that are younger. I also live on a military base so what applies here will not apply in the civilian world. Your best bet is to just call and check, that way you will be armed with facts when someone threatens to call the cops.

------------------
~ Proud Military Wife & Mother Of 3 Beautiful Children! ~

[This message has been edited by ~airforcewife~ (edited 07-09-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2003, 04:19 PM   #3

yoga1st HB User
oh my gosh!! i did not know that i guess i will call the police and see what the exact rules are, some of the stuff i read online were about parents forgetting they had their child in the car and they died of heat and the parents were not even being charged!!!!! can you believe that!~

Old 07-09-2003, 05:09 PM   #4
Inactive

~airforcewife~ HB User
Talking

I know, those stories are pretty unreal. I was reading on here a couple weeks ago about a man who left his infant in the back of his minivan for about 8 hours and he said he didn't realize that the baby was in there...ok, how the hell do you foget that you have your CHILD in the car with you? He discovered the baby when he came back out to his car when he got off work. He gave stress as a reason. Oh, and that he hadn't slept in about a week or some other story. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

I guess the police felt sorry for him...said the baby dying was punishment enough.

------------------
~ Proud Military Wife & Mother Of 3 Beautiful Children! ~

[This message has been edited by ~airforcewife~ (edited 07-09-2003).]

Old 07-09-2003, 11:37 PM   #5
Inactive

babyinmybelly HB User
We live on a military post and it is 100% illegal to leave your kids in the car alone for any reason!! Even when I get gas, I have to unload the kids and take them inside to pay,even though I am able to see them the whole time. Sometimes it's a pain but I know it's for there safety. My dh is a military police and he has arrested people for leaving kids, even infants in their cars for "just a quick second". It's a very serious offense.
I wouldn't worry about the old man to much. You learn something new every day!

Old 07-10-2003, 05:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User
Yoga1st,
I don't think there is anything wrong with your judgement here. Its ridiculous that you can't leave four kids in the car for a minute (specially when one is 10!) to go buy a pop in a safe area. I'm sure the cops and the district prosecutor have better things to do with their time than worry about that.

Old 07-10-2003, 06:20 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

*SoccerMom* HB User
Hi Yoga1st~
I would always leave my kids in the car while I ran in to pay for my gas. We live in a small town and it sounds very similar to yours. My son is now almost 13 but a couple of years ago, I was confronted about leaving my 2 girls in the car with my son. Sometimes one or both of them would be napping and I didn't want to take them out, wake them up, and lug them in the store. They were 2 and 3 years old at the time. I could see them out of the window the whole time and the doors were locked with the car running. A cop approached me and told me that it was illegal and asked me a million questions. He ended up letting me go, but warned if it happened again he would arrest me. I then started pumping my gas and stayed with the vehicle and let my son go in to pay......you won't believe this, but then the clerks in the store told my son that HE isn't allowed to go pay for gas since he is a minor! My son is now almost 13 and we have since found a new full-service station where we do all of our business. I understand why the child endangerment laws should be enforced but sometimes people just take things to the extreme!

Old 07-10-2003, 09:56 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User
I have to agree that its possible to take things to an unnessary extreme. There shouldn't even have to be a law against leaving your kids in a car because its already against the law to neglect or endanger your child. If the situation falls under that category, than they can press charges.

Old 07-10-2003, 10:34 AM   #9
Inactive

~airforcewife~ HB User
Talking

babyinmybelly ~ WOW, your post doesn't even have limits? That's the very first paper we received from housing when we moved onto our base! It gives ages and time limits that you can leave your kids alone in the car for. We even got a paper with ages and time limits for leaving them alone in the house!

Old 07-10-2003, 11:41 AM   #10
Inactive

babyinmybelly HB User
Airforcewife this is the third army post we've lived on and by far the strictest! Not only with leaving kids in the car, but children have to be 12 to be outside by themselves and can not be responsible for younger siblings. And when my 6 and 4 yr old are out riding their bikes they have to be in my "direct line of site" at ALL times. If I go inside to change my babies diaper I have to bring my other two inside too. And the people here are wonderful about calling the MP's. I've never had anyone call on me, but my dh has been to numerous calls. Most he says are a waste of his time. Just people being petty. I do feel that it's to strict and am hoping when we reach the civilian world things will be a bit nicer.

Old 07-10-2003, 11:56 AM   #11

yoga1st HB User
growing up in guam on base there i was a latch key kid
i wasn't allowed to play outside till my parents got home thou i think i was in 2nd and 3rd gr when i was home alone after school
when my dad got stationed up here in washington i remember my mom was a little more strict about us going outside she said it was different than when we lived in guam but i don't ever remember her talking about a paper she got with rules about kids cause i am sure she would have told me to reinforce why i couldn't go here or there
plus i was left in cars and i can remember waiting for her while playing with my cousins out side the commisary while my aunt and her did grocery shopping
this was also a good 25 yrs ago so maybe the times along with their rules have changed
yoga

Old 07-10-2003, 01:12 PM   #12
Veteran

Greenberry HB User
There is a big difference between leaving your child in an unlocked car on a 95 degree day in Florida while you go into the mall (way out of sight of the vehicle) and shop for 4 hours, and leaving your child in locked car on a cool day while you run in and pay for gas. These days, for gas I always pay at the pump, BUT I do occasionally leave my children in the car while I run into the post office. We live way out in the sticks and our little country post office is in an old gas station. I can pull up three feet away from the door under an awning, lock the car, and go inside and still be within 12 feet of the car. I would not ever leave them in the car in a place where I cannot see the vehicle at all times, if whatever business I have takes more than a minute or two, or if it is very hot.

Old 07-10-2003, 07:40 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

*SoccerMom* HB User
Oh yeah, Greenberry--I forgot about the pay at the pump thing! I do that sometimes.....especially when we are in a strange town or traveling. Usually though, my son wants some gum, a drink or whatever and I send him in for that stuff and he can pay for the gas while he is inside.

I could understand the police becoming involved in extreme cases.......and believe me, I have seen children locked in cars at the mall and reported them. I just cannot understand why our laws have to be taken to an extreme so often. I feel that by far I am an over-protective mother. Many parents joke about how I feel about my children and what I don't allow them to do. I would never intentionally but my children in danger. I think that is why I was so frustrated about my situation.

Old 07-11-2003, 09:56 AM   #14

yoga1st HB User
ok i just spoke with my local police dept and it is not illegal here to leave your kids in the car ~~at any age~~ unless its infront of a tavern while you are inside ~~ which that would never happen with me,
i told her about the guy and its just been bothering me
ever since, she did mention it could turn into endangerment if its hot out and the windows are up ,then i asked at what age can you leave your child home alone and she said there was no age limit ***~!!!
but in order for a child to be watching another child the oldest would have to be 11, so does that mean if your child is 10 you could leave them with younger kids but she just wouldn't be ~responsible~ since you can leave em home at any age? some laws need to be changed!

Old 07-12-2003, 07:47 AM   #15

911_mom HB User
I agreed with leaving kids for just a minute until my experience yesterday. I always leave my 2 y/o in the car for just a second while I run into the gas station to get a pack of cigs. He has one of those car seats that just sits in the seat and uses the regular seat belt. Well, he crawled out of it yesterday and when I came out of the gas station, he was "Driving." Ugh, I thought I was gonna die. People were gawking and one guy even said something when I came out about the keys being in the car. And to top it all off, I work at the local P.D. Oh, that would have been so embarassing if someone called them. From now on, he's going in with me everywhere. I did wake up and realize how disastrous that could have turned out. And yeah, that is crazy about there not being an age limit to stay home alone. Someone called the p.d. the other day to ask that question and I had to go ask someone to find out the answer. They said it just depends on the maturity level of the child and that is up to the parents. I think that's crazy!

Closed Thread