It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
(female)

ww1989 HB User
9 year old son bipolar or narcissist???

My son Jack is 9 years old and was dx with ADHD at age of 4. Unfortunately thou, as he gets older his emotional/personality issues are becoming more complex. Although he still displays the hyperactivity sometimes, he is also calm when he wants to be. He is an excellent student. Extremely intelligent, deep child. Very loving and caring with me and a few close family members that he truly loves.

However, Jack's struggles horribly with anger/rage with adults/authority figures. If he doesn't believe in his own mind that he can trust a person or that they "like" him...then he sees no need to show them respect in return. He doesn't hesitate to debate with his teacher/principal when he is being reprimmanded at school. These outrages make him feel enraged b/c many of these episodes are in front of his peers. He never believes that any of these issues are his fault. He places all the blame on either the teacher, another student, etc.

He is in 4th grade this school year. Each summer is always positive and I am always hopeful that he will show maturity and positive growth with each new year. However, it doesn't seem to be changing as he is getting older. It is getting worse for his peers too b/c they are more observant of eachother as they are growing up.

Today, (for the 1st time this year) I had to pick him up from school. He is suspended until Monday for calling the teacher and "idiot" several times. He lost his temper and refused to leave the classroom, making a scene. He yelled at her, saying he was going to sue her in court for everything she owns for making him leave the classroom.

I've been taking him to a counselor and a psychiatrist for a couple years now. He is currently taking celexa, tenex, and dextrastat. The psychiatrist has talked about bipolar disorder and narcissist. He pdoc said that meds will not change but doesn't seem to have an answer for me on what I am supposed to do as a parent! I am so scared for my child, b/c the older he gets the more difficult time he is having interacting with others.

Does anyone else have a child like mine?? Or ideas what I can do??
Bipolar II (2010) Lamotrigine 300mg

Last edited by ww1989; 09-29-2010 at 07:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
(female)

ww1989 HB User
Re: 9 year old son bipolar or narcissist???

Took my son to his counselor today. She disagrees with the pdoc. Doesn't like that he he is discussing the labels of narcissist or bipolar without testing him first. She thinks his social/behavior issues are more indicative of Aspergers syndrome. Now I am more confused than ever!

Parents...please give me some input.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

I am confused as to why the doctor has him on Tenex & Dextrastat for ADHD. Tenex is anti-hypertensive and used for ADHD treatment for patients that can't take stimulant meds. Dextrastat is a stimulant treatment for ADHD. I also question the bipolar diagnosis and treatment with Celexa, an antidepressant. Usually antidepressants are not used in treatment for bipolar because they can bring on mania. Your son may have ODD-Oppositional Defiant Disorder. Has he been tested for AU-Asbergers? I would find another doctor for a second opinion. I wish you well

Old 10-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
(female)

ww1989 HB User

Hello rudiraven,
Well he does have ADHD and does get hyper. So are you saying that Tenex and Dextrostat are counterproductive?? Pdoc prescribed celexa for anxiety, b/c he used to have scary thoughts at bedtime that something bad was going to happen.

He has not been specifically tested for Aspergers or other personality disorders b/c I don't have insurance at this time.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
(female)

Basswife HB UserBasswife HB User

It does sound very like it could be aspergers syndrome mis-manged. Especially the way he argues the point and everything is never his fault. This would also fit with having ADHD (they can go hand in hand or be mis-diagnosed). A way at the moment instead of an assessment could be a book called : freaks, geeks and aspergers syndrome. Its written by a boy with aspergers, and as a professional working with children with the syndrome I found it invaluable. Not that its a diagnosis but might help you understand and help your son.

My advice, as a parent, would be to be to do as much research as possible to understand aspergers. The othe things that have been mentioned (bi polar and narcissist) you could do the same for. People always say to me that I know my son the best, so go with my insticts. I would say the same to you. Arm yourself with knowledge and research and then any time you get to see your sons doctor and therapists yu can talk it through with them. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread