It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
Please help me!!

I'm having horrendous problems with my Daughter at bedtime, not occasionally EVERY single night.

She is 13, she has never slept well since a baby, but now we have a fight every single night when me and my Husband want her to go to bed.

She stalls, and if i dont get up to her room and chase her she just will not go to bed. She is tired in the morning and then doesnt want to get up ofcourse.

I tried tonight to talk to her calmly and explain she has to do this alone, and earlier, and i was met yet again with a volley of protests and abuse.

Im at the end of my rope with this , does ANYONE have any suggestions? ive tried punishing her by taking away mobile phone/computer, nothing works.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Please help me!!

aww was hoping for some advice and help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

She's 13, not 5. Sounds like it's become a game of sorts. No yelling or chasing. Treat her like a young adult and tell her she has to go to her room at a certain time. If she goes to sleep fine, if not she'll be tired the next day. End of story :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to rudiraven For This Useful Post:
Curious One (04-25-2011)
Old 12-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

you think i havent tried that, bit its the shouting and screaming while im trying to get her to bed, not on my part, hers. Im just sick of hearing myself nagging her to go to bed.

and no she isnt 5 i wish she was you could reason with her much better than a hormonal 13yr old

Old 12-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

worrybucket, I'm sorry to hear that she's still giving you trouble!
all I can tell you is to be consistant......don't back down....
when you tell her something, stick to your guns.....
good luck

Old 12-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

This sounds like it could be more related to the attention she is receiving from you, rather than the actual bedtime being the issue.

Do you have a chance to spend special time each evening with your daughter? I imagine if she is getting a good dose of mommy time, she will not feel the need to be chased and caught to go to bed.

A fun idea for spending a little time together could be making a craft out of a kit. I just bought a gingerbread making kit that gave us a few hours of great fun, and it was easy clean up. When we were done we had the cute gingerbread cookies to give grandma and grandpa. Our craft store has a huge assortment of inexpensive kits, that are perfect for tween agers.

I hope this helps a bit...

Thirteen is an age where young girls are caught between being a little girl and a young women. I know it is a time of confused signals for us parents, but it comes from the confusion your daughter is feeling.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

i think write left could be onto something here. She sits with us and watches TV at night but mostly she likes to go to her room and do her own thing. i will try to give her a bit more attention one to one from now on, nd see of it improves,,thanks

Old 12-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Great! It's worth a try, and it could lead to some great fun for you both. Being close to Christmas, it is nice to have some special baking or ornament making sessions with the family.

Enjoy your daughter, they grow up so fast. My youngest is now driving and dating, soon off to college. I am craving every minute I have with him. My best to you family!

Old 03-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I need some SERIOUS advice PLEASE !!!

My 13 yr old Daughter has turned into child from hell.

She is nasty , abusive, swears on facebook and to her friends. She is rude and cheeky to me and her father, she wont do anything she is told. She has had her mbile taken off her, her facebook account, her laptop, and now her tv in her room !!

Tonight was the worst. She has a horse and told another girl where we ride that she hoped she fell off and had an accident, infact she didnt tell the girl directly but told her own friends who nastily grassed her p to this girl (some friends) but never the less she should not have said it. She told me she didnt say it and i was about to talk to the gilrl about lying and the other girls owned up and said my daughter had said it but only in a joking way !! i was furious for her saying it AND lying to me.

Few days ago i had to hand the discipline over to her Dad as i feel i have lost control with her now, and its making me ill. So when i told him tonight he has banned her from the stables and seeing or riding her horse. Now i have to look after it, which i dont mind, but i dont want to ride it as i had an accident in the summer on another horse.

She is now upstairs in her room sulking and feeling the world is against her. I'm so angry at her for ruining our hobby and for lying to me, i cant even talk to her right now. Her Dad will NOT back down but its all such a shame and a waste all because she is an obnoxious horrible child at the moment.

I asked her if something was bothering her thats making her act in the way she's acting. She says no. She has a lovely home, 2 parents together, a good set of school friends, she likes her school, she has everything she wants and needs, and a beautiful horse that costs us a fortune. What can we do??????????? im at the end of my rope.

Last edited by Worrybucket; 03-02-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

at this point maybe take her to a child psychologist

Closed Thread