It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
(female)

EdnaMarie HB User
Red face picky eater or eating disorder

HI all. I have an eleven year old daughter (very shy) who has always been a picky eater. She won't even attempt to try new foods. Her diet consists of peant butter and jelly sandwiches for breakfast (every day) grilled cheese sandwiches, chicken noodle soup, fries and chicken nuggets, seldom but sometimes a banana in her pbandj sandwich, sometimes an apple cut up and of course any chocolate or cakes or sweets.
I discussed this with her Dr. and she said as long as she's getting some from all the food groups and growing normally it's ok.
Lately, Other parents of her friends tell me she refuses to eat at all at their homes when she goes for sleepovers and she eats nothing all day at school because of their pb free school rules. Some times in the past when I would send her a cookie or apple snack, her friends would all make a big deal of it and she was embarrassed so from that time she has refused to eat anything. I questioned her on it and she gets angry and tears up.
One day she asked me " if you throw up do you get fat?"
I am extremely worried that if she dosen't get past this it could lead to anerexia.
Does anyone know of another child that fits this catagory and has recieved help. any ideas.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
(female)

My last nerve HB User
Re: picky eater or eating disorder

I'd get the school to have someone come in and talk about peer pressure etc. Situations where children are framing or defining what is acceptable need to be intervened by adults or else it becomes normal. I'd also look for books that address the issue of body image for her to read. It can't hurt even if body image isn't the main reason for her eating habits.

She could very well be sensitive to food. My child is a picky eater. When she was younger, you just had to go with it but as she is older, I probe to find out just what it is about the food that she doesn't like. Sometimes it's the texture both in her mouth and visually receiving it that overwhelms her. I'm a picky eater as well. I can eat the same thing every single day no problem. For example, I can eat whole chick peas but not hummus because of the texture. I cannot eat fish because of the way the fish 'shimmers'. It overwhelms me. Either way, if it is a sensory issue, find other foods that have similar textures and go from there.

I think you have to approach this at different angles. I'm sure there are more ways to address this so I hope a lot of people post here to help you more.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
(male)

Binkys HB User

There's nothing wrong with being picky eaters but the question she asked you really scared me and you and I both know what she's thinking although I really don't know how an 11yr old would much care about looks right now

Old 07-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
(female)

auntdew HB User

I wouldn't jump the gun and say her problems with eating are because of her being body conscious. It seems to me that it is more to do with her friends. I'm not sure what you mean by "making a bid deal over it", but something doesn't seem right there.

It certainly sounds like she is very reluctant to eat in front of people outside the family.

Does she eat plenty when she is at home?

If she is not eating much at school I would be allowing her to eat as much of what she does like when she is at home.

The question she asked you may mean nothing. When I was a little girl I asked my mother what the word rape meant. It turned out I was referring to rapeseeds, not sexual violation. Luckily my mother asked me why I was asking first. I don't remember the incident, but my mother told me about it a few years ago.

Her getting upset at you asking her about eating at lunch, shows that this is a big issue for her, and something she would prefer to just pretend it didn't happen.

I certainly think that your fears about her developing an eating disorder have some founding, as she does obviously already have issues with food. Eating disorders occur for various reasons, so it is hard to say yes or not, but it could happen.

I would consider talking to health professionals about this, and seeing perhaps if a therapist could help.

Certainly I think you need to get to the bottom of this because she is on the verge of her teenage years and if this is not sorted by then it could get out of control.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
HI all. I have an eleven year old daughter (very shy) who has always been a picky eater. She won't even attempt to try new foods. Her diet consists of peant butter and jelly sandwiches for breakfast (every day) grilled cheese sandwiches, chicken noodle soup, fries and chicken nuggets, seldom but sometimes a banana in her pbandj sandwich, sometimes an apple cut up and of course any chocolate or cakes or sweets.
Where does she get the jelly, bread, cheese, chicken noodle soup, fries, chicken nuggets, chocolate, cakes and sweets????? I assume these are items you put in your shopping cart. These habits are usually learned and supported by parents.

Quote:
I discussed this with her Dr. and she said as long as she's getting some from all the food groups and growing normally it's ok.
It's not ok. Good eating habits should be formed in childhood. Whatever habits she forms now will most likely be carried forward into her adult life.

Last edited by JohnR41; 07-08-2011 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Spelling

Closed Thread