It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Pool Safety

I need some support. I am freaking out inside right now and on the verge of tears.
We went to my husband's parents this evening. Our soon to be 4 yr old daughter wanted to get in their pool. They have one of those inflatable pools where the water only comes to Madeline's lower chest at best. She was walking around just getting used to the water and having a great time. My husband, father-in-law, mother-in-law, and myself were standing right there. I was holding our 5 month old son. I was in mid-conversation with my mother-in-law and glanced into the pool. I freaked out and saw Madeline face down in the water, floating. She had slipped on the bottom of the pool. My husband grabbed her in one swift pull. She was in the water NO LONGER than 3 seconds. I completely lost it, and I CANNOT get the image of my daughter floating face down out of my head. This happened about 2 hours ago.
Immediately after coming out of the water, Madeline cried, we dried her off, and kept everything very low-key. We didn't want to frighten her anymore. She cried for maybe a hot 10 seconds and then got in again! I hesitated to say no b/c I don't want her to be afraid of the water.
Parents, PLEASE keep an eye on your little ones at ALL times. Summer is a dangerous season, and too many precious little ones are lost to drownings. I realize this incident with my daughter was fortunate b/c we were all right there. Thank God we were all right there.
Parents, never leave your children unattended - no matter how experienced you think they are. I really need some words of support right now...My husband keeps telling me to relax and I can't.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: LauraLu
esker (06-20-2011), janewhite1 (06-20-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to LauraLu For This Useful Post:
esker (06-20-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Pool Safety

Your daughter is fine, because you were watching her. Young children do need to be watched whenever they are swimming or bathing. Still, don't be afraid to let her swim again. (If you need a few days to get past it, that's ok.) She will have a great time, and probably never remember this incident at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
LauraLu (06-21-2011)
Closed Thread