It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
(male)

itp78 HB Useritp78 HB User
Potty Training

My wife and I have three healthy boys ages 7, 6, and 3. Currently we are having difficulty potty training our 3 year old who will be 4 February 5 of 2012. We have been very patient and intend to remain patient with him. We have been working on potty training him for the past 5 months. A first it was typical of what we experienced with our first 2 sons. We first put him in pull-ups and worked with him on peeing in the toilet with some success. We then worked with him on going number 2 with no success. We bought him big boy underwear, which he liked wearing, and figured he would hate sitting in his own mess enough that he would start going number 2 in the toilet. After doing this for about three weeks, we put him back in pull-ups because we were tired of cleaning him up and the constant laundry. We have tried training potties with no success and bribed him with a toy train and with a potty jar which he receives a coin for peeing and a dollar for number 2 if he goes in the toilet. Everything we have tried for him worked with our first 2 boys. Currently he is back to wearing big boy underwear but he still refuses to go number 2 in the toilet. I realize every boy can react differently to potty training but we feel we are running out of ideas. I feel this is a control issue and I'm now wondering if we should work with him in a roundabout way that would make him not feel pressured to use the toilet to go number 2. Surely our situation is not unique and I was hoping for some input from others so we can come up with some other creative ideas to our son's potty training issues. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
(female)

shmoo32 HB User
Re: Potty Training

Not sure if this is the same issue but we were also having #2 issues. Mostly, with him not wanting to go and holding it for several days. After many Dr. appt's and a year or so later he is finally doing it. What we did. Up the fiber, anything you can think of that he'll eat. No more juice, not sure why but he drinks milk & water and it's working. Right after dinner, he sat on the potty, whether he needed to go or not -even if we needed to spend a lot of time there. We read, told stories, he played hand-held games. And if he went, he received lots of praises (everyone came to see his poopy in the potty) and some fruit bunny snacks. If he went in his pants, we didn't make a big deal, basically no attention. I hope this helps.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

I have all girls (ages 8,6,3 and 1). With my second and third, we had very similar issues. Especially with the second! I finally got to where I wouldn't let her do "big girl" things because she wasn't acting "big." If her big sister got to go and do something fun, she would have to sit out and watch because she wasn't big enough because she didn't want to poop on the potty. It was a control thing. At first, she was like, "Fine, I didn't want to do that anyway!" I acted like it was no big deal to me.... almost as if I didn't want her to poop on the potty because it was just easier for me to not have to deal with her at "big kid" things. I'd just make little off handed comments like, "It's so much easier to have you here in the stroller watching big sister play on the playground!"

I think the last time she pooped in her pullup, we were at a birthday party and I had to take her outside in the freezing cold to change her (there was no WAY I could change that foul smelling thing inside the house!), and I made it as uncomfortable for her as I could (on the driveway, no changing pad), and the whole time, I was describing what she was missing inside the party while we were outside freezing out arses off getting her disgusting poopy pullup changed. I also made sure she knew that everyone else knew it was SHE who made that horrible smell inside the house! She hated knowing she was missing the party, hated being outside in the cold, and hated knowing people knew she was so gross, and that was the last time she pooped in her pullup!

I think from the time we started the "big kid" stuff, until she started using the potty full time, it took about a month. Hope this helps!

The Following User Says Thank You to marisuela For This Useful Post:
itp78 (12-19-2011)
Old 05-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
(female)

BFwbestGF HB User

I took my son to a day care for one week. I know it may sound strange but I didn't know what else to do; he refused to only wear underwear under his pants, screaming and crying hysterically if I even tried to put them on him. He also refused to sit on the toilet or training potty. So... I paid a daycare. At this day care they took all the children into the washrooms once every two hours. My son was now able to watch them and then wanted to do what they did. He was happy to do it at home if I sang a song or distracted him with karate chops. He was young and unable to tell me what the reason for not wanting to use underwear, but I shortly figured it out. The daycare was able to put him in underwear on the third day, whew. However when he went over to the grandparents he proceeded to slide feet first on his belly down the steps... yup he started bawling again and again refused to wear underwear. I was persistent though and I did not take him to his grandparents house for two weeks in which time he was fully converted.

I know this is not gonna be practical for most people, but I'm sure you get the gist. If he is around peers doing the same thing... even number two... then he may as well.

Closed Thread