It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
(female)

jilas0127 HB Userjilas0127 HB Userjilas0127 HB User
Angry REDBULL + Children = Bad Parenting?

So my husband (whom I am currently seperated) sends me a youtube video of his son's new years eve party (my step son). He had 3 friends spend the night, and this video is of my ex recording the boys having their party. Recording them as they mix Redbull, Monster, and Grape juice in champagn glasses, simulating that they are drinking alcohol and getting drunk. Why would someone allow 11 year old children (that aren't even his) drink adult energy drinks? Why allow them to simulate getting drunk? The video is apalling. These kids look as though they are pouring wine into wine glasses, (it was grape juice in a wine looking bottle), they are taking "shots" of redbull and monster, and at one point, one of them actually says "I've had 5000 chicks and still ain't got a b*ner. WHAT?

Normally, yeah, it's not my business, unless I have a 2 year old with this man and I am doubting his parenting abilities. Am I overreacting?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: REDBULL + Children = Bad Parenting?

I'd save the video and take it straight to my lawyer.......
this could get you some leverage.......big time......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Energy drinks are not good for children that age. A little bit on a special occasion might be OK, but they can have nasty side effects even in adults.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

I don't understand why you didn't report this to the police and CPS right away when it happened? He clearly endangered those kids and I'm sure he will do it again. You have an obligation to report this and I don't think you should keep putting it off.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Bad parenting? Sure. Is it endangering the kid? No more than any other moronic parent who lets their kid have caffeine! Giving a kid a red bull is about equivalent to letting a kid drink a couple of Mountain Dews or Cokes. It happens ALL the time! Have you ever watched the drink fountain at Chuck E Cheese or McDonalds? 6-7 year olds running back and forth, constantly refilling their LARGE cups with whatever caffeinated drinks are available! It's TERRIBLE parenting! But not really worth calling the cops or cps.... it sounds more like an immature moron trying to be his son's buddy, instead of his father!

Mimicking adult behaviors is a normal part of growing up. My friends and I used to walk to the gas station and buy candy cigarettes and pretend to smoke them! We used to wrap our soda bottles in paper bags and pretend to be drinking alcohol, too. Not that I would allow my own kids to act like that, ever(!), but it didn't do me any harm back in the day....

Anyway.... it's moronic parenting for sure, and it's definitely something to think about before letting him be the guy who raises your kids!

The Following User Says Thank You to marisuela For This Useful Post:
WhenItRains (04-02-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
(female)

MysticRayne HB User

It's disgusting and irresponsible the first thing I would do is forward that video to the parents of the other boys. They need to see what is happening to them. I know I would want to know.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I do not believe that one isolated event can be enough to label anyone a bad parent, but a lack of judgement, yes.

I have tried one of those energy drinks once, and it made me feel awful. I would not wish that feeling on anyone. As another poster mentioned, practicing or playing adult is a very common thing as kids grow up. I personally would never offer the kids energy drinks, simply because of my own experience with them.

I do not think it is enough to make a huge deal about it, but a frank conversation with your ex..yes!

Old 04-02-2012, 01:42 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User

I guess I'm clearly in the minority,because I don't think it is a huge deal at all...
First of all,it was NEW YEARS,not a school night.Second,caffeine may make you feel jittery in large doses,but it's not like it alters your judgement or anything.And,my biggest point here,giving kids caffeine drinks is NOT illegal...
OF COURSE kids are going to mimick grown ups! They see everyone on tv drinking and having fun and they want to as well.So they substituted with juice and energy drinks,so what?

These are middle school aged boys,and I think you are over reacting.From the moment my daughter entered middle school, I heard all about drugs kids were trying,kids who are having sex already and skipping school...
caffeine is the LEAST of your worries at that age.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
(female)

I guess Im just concerned since the father is an addict and he is already teaching his son to seek stimulants at such a young age. Poor kid is already at a disadvantage from addiction running in his family. It probably just causes an adult heart rate to race. That amount of caffiene I'M sure is health for a heart half the size. He's really going to love the ephedrine!!

Old 05-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
(female)

He drinks 5 - 6 monster drinks a day. He's 12 now so he's fine. Hey, at least he has energy to do his chores right??

Old 05-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User

Well you did not mention in your original post the child drinks 5-6 monster drinks a day...you said it was New Year's eve and they were pretending it was alcohol.

I do not think 5-6 energy drinks a day is healthy for anyone,let alone a middle school aged kid.

But my point was I don't think LEGALLY much will be done about the video you said was taken New Year's Eve.

Closed Thread