It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
(female)

mom111 HB User
is my teenage girl depressed?

My 13 year old daughter claims that she is very unhappy. She posts gloomy things on facebook, says she wears a fake smile. When there's no smile in a picture she says because she's not happy. She messaged a friend and said if it weren't for some of the girls she wouldn't be here. There's more... But her eating and sleeping are normal and at home with Daddy she's great. She does still laugh and joke with us. So is she really depressed and should I be concerened or is this just a teenage girl being a teenage girl?

The following user gives a hug of support to mom111:
TeenAngel (03-04-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
(female)

Wheeze HB User
Re: is my teenage girl depressed?

I think she's just being a teenage girl, and looking for a bit of attention... if her eating, sleeping, and other habits are normal (she's not plummeting in school, hasn't isolated herself from friends you're familiar with) you probably have nothing to worry about; just keep an eye out to see if it escalates or anything of the sort.

Last edited by Wheeze; 02-23-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

When a child of her age, quite capable of expressing her feelings says, writes, and acts depressed or sad...this should be taken completely seriously.

Happy teenagers will be the first to tell you they are happy. This child needs your attention immediately. In my opinion, she is crying out for help or attention. These years are very difficult for most teens, and when in doubt, spend more time and effort with your children...not less.

If my son was to share with me that he was sad, I would stop the world until I could help him figure out why...Please listen carefully...

Janet

Last edited by Administrator; 06-18-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
(male)

Corythecurious HB User

You do have to be carefull in situations like this. She could be.getting bullied at school or just.going through the stage of unhappyness. Just keep a close eye on her and make sure (if its real depression) nothing drastic happens and remember stages happen with teens but watch out at
school bulling happens to kids everyday and people dont see it... Just be carefull

Old 03-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
(female)

Curisa HB User

I would be concerned... When I was around 11 or 12 I got really depressed because of things I'd rather not say. I still acted normal at home, but like your daughter I was really, really depressed. Thank God He saved me... but my advice to you would be to pay more attention to her. Sure, this might be because of things happening in school, but maybe something at home has a part to play in this. And posting gloomy things on facebook? Why don't you sit down and talk to her and ask her if something's going on. I'm a teen right now, and let me tell you that this is NOT normal, not if it's been going on for a long while. Maybe a few days or even a week (you've heard of the phrase "girl drama") but I don't think so.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-18-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User

I think her statements about being unhappy and the message she sent to her friend is definitely a cause for concern, especially if she was a more cheerful and optimistic person prior to this. I agree with Curisa about talking to her about what's going on. If she is depressed, it may be a huge relief for her that you are acknowledging her feelings and are willing to help her get through this difficult time.

Last edited by flamesabers; 03-04-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Why would you not talk to her about or take it seriously? With the teen suicide rate as high as it is, no parent can afford to not talk to their kids when they voice thought of sadness or depression. And it takes so little effort to sit down with your child and talk to them.

Perhaps she is trying to get attention....our children should have our attention, they shouldn't have to make up ways to get it.

God forbid you didn't talk with her and something tragic happened, you'd never be able to forgive yourself....just talk to her, see how she's doing, see how school is, how her friends are, etc.

kat

Old 05-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
(female)

wordgirl07 HB User

The most important thing you can do is talk with her and find out what's going on. Having raised three teens, I know they don't always open up. Provide an atmosphere where it is just the two of you spending the day together shopping, etc. and wait til she feels comfortable to talk about it. Most importantly, show understanding. Do not act or show shock or disappointment if she tells you something uncomfortable. Let her know you are on her side. If you discover she is depressed, gently suggest seeing someone for help and let her know you will be by her side all the way and that you love her.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
(female)

Shanna770 HB User

Teens could be depressed for a lot of reasons

Depression is not something that can be ignored or taken lightly. It requires proper attention and treatment. If you think your daughter is seriously depressed, I suggest you take her to counseling or therapy. Depression can be cured with the aid of proper counseling or therapy, and a healthy lifestyle. Not all people with depression have eating and sleeping problems. They do not have the same symptoms. Some people might only have a few, and others a lot.

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-18-2012 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved website links, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Closed Thread