It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
(female)

Kimbellina HB User
Worried About the Future.

Our daughter just turned 17, she's mostly a pleasant & sweet girl, but I'm worried about her. I have only been her stepmom for 4 years, but we get along very well. Anyway, I'm a planner. She & her Dad are the complete opposite. My older children are out of the house & were already gone when I met my husband, but they got jobs in the 9th grade and earned the allowance that I gave them. Our 17 yr old gets an allowance, but her Dad refuses to make her do even the most simple chores. I love her so much, but I'm starting to feel resentful. I work and carry most of the bills, even though I don't make most of the $$. If I bring up the notion of chores or a PT job her Dad says I'm uptight. I want her to learn to budget & be responsible. I don't know what to do! I'm losing sleep over this. Should I just leave it alone & hope when she's 22 she can take care of herself. I don't pay bills for any of the other children. Sometimes I wish I didn't love her. I know that sounds bad, but I wouldn't have to worry. Her grades are awful, so no scholorship. Any Advise?

Old 03-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
(female)

aleksia HB Useraleksia HB User
Re: Worried About the Future.

Your husband is not being fair to you and he is doing his daughter a big disservice. I have read a lot about parenting and every expert says that you need to give your kids, even young kids, chores because that's how they find meaning in things. That a 17 year old doesn't do anything is not good for her. This is obviously not good for you either, you shouldn't have to pay her bills. Maybe family or marriage counseling would help so that a third party could hear you out. I don't blame you for feeling resentful, I would feel the same.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread