It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
4yo reveals he knows there's no grampa

Tonight my husband put our 4yo son to bed. They gleefully discussed visiting gramma soon on a trip - husband's mom.

He stated factually that "XX gramma is your mommy" and they teased about what to call her.

Then son asked "mommy has a mommy and daddy, you have a mommy; why don't you have a daddy?"

Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this kind of thing. I'm surprised I've found more references on-line to dead grandparents than DIVORCED and disowned grandparents - such as for my husband. DH's dad divorced when a toddler, then DH basically disowned his dad when he was 10 or so. Won't talk to him; hardly knows what he's done since.

So, it's not as easy as a death. How do you handle this?

Old 09-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
(female)

Jchix HB User
Re: 4yo reveals he knows there's no grampa

There is a similar situation in my family. My son is also 4, though it is my father who is no longer part of our lives rather than my husband's. We have simply told my son the truth, or as much as I believe he can understand: "Mommy's Daddy, your grandpa, is not part of our lives." We also make sure he knows how much the grandparents he does have love him. It's hard, for certain, but it helps that my mother and my in-laws are so involved with his life. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread