It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
(female)

Lynn2323 HB User
Question My almost 9 year old step son has got some major behavior issues!!!

Ok here it goes.

I have been with my husband for almost 3 years now I am a step-mother of his daughter and 2 sons! My husband and I battled for custody and was a very drawn out progress after battleing with his ex about anything from getting one of the kids on thier birthdays to child support! His older two was all about leaveing thier mother and living with us, but the one in issue is the baby and was a mommys boy!

Always while she had custody she made some choices about her 6yr old at the time this all started. She went and doctor shopped and finally found a doctor that said he has ADHD and put him on med (i believe just to get SSI for him) This was one of our (father and I) biggest fights against her (the ex) in court! His father and I didnt see where he should be on this med never had a problem with him when he was with us and was not taking the meds (due to his mother not sending the meds).

So after the on going court battles and more evidence given in court my husband and I were finally granted custody of all 3 children and now thier mother is not allowed to see them at all the only thing she is allowed to do is call them on weds (which has never made and attempt to do)!

We completely took him off the meds and he does great but at times is just as if a switch is turned on in his head and he completely woount listen almost as if he has (psycho issues) I strongly believe this is from the meds that he was put on when he lived with his mother and he didnt need the meds at all! I nor my husband wants him to be put back on meds, but its getting to the point I think that he may need to be put on some sort of mild med to help him over come whatever he is going through

I am a mother of 5 3 step and 3 bio. But I treat them ALL the same and like my own I wish I knew what the outbursts my 9 yr old is having is all about!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: My almost 9 year old step son has got some major behavior issues!!!

It sounds like this kid has had a rough trot for most of his life. Have you thought of counselling/therapy for him? He seems definitely to have anger issues, and a therapist ought to be able to get to the bottom of it. I would keep the medication as a very last resort, it will just bandaid the symptoms.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:15 AM   #3
(female)

Lynn2323 HB User
Re: My almost 9 year old step son has got some major behavior issues!!!

Yes he has been in councelling but alot of the consoulers around here just let the kids play and talk more with the parents and tha aggervates me so he no longer goes. And yes the meds with be the VERY LAST step we take! We can be a very sweet boy but whatever it is triggers him and hes a total different kid after that for like a hour then if his siblings leave him alone hes sweet again! The sad thing is I think it has do do with alot of what his mom did to him when she had custody (which I think there was more that went on then we know about).....

Reply Reply