It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

mommaoftwinsplus1 HB Usermommaoftwinsplus1 HB User
Tween Issues... 12 year old daughter

Maybe someone can give me advice. I have a 12 year old daughter, she is a beautiful young lady, smart. But lately she doesn't apply herself with school work, always moody, wants to be alone in her room etc. I took her to our primary doctor and he said she needs tutoring and then wrote a prescription for ritilan. Well that gave her headaches...and besides I sometimes think doctors tend to use medication as a "band aid". So she is not on medication now and I am working with my insurance to get her into therapy. Any other parents have suggestions on how to help. Maybe it's just normal behavior at this age to be distant. Just breaks my heart to see my oldest so sad. I have 9 year old twin daughters also, and I hope they don't go through this.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
Re: Tween Issues....12 year old daughter

It certainly can be normal, hormonal behavior. I would not medicate her either, at this point in time.Good for you about the therapy. Have you spoken with her directly?
Is she hanging out with a new/different crowd? Are you concerned that she may be doing drugs? Have you spoken with any of her teachers for their feedback?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: Tween Issues....12 year old daughter

I cannot believe that a doctor would medicate a child for the "illness" of what sounds like a normal puberty. Surging hormones will cause this behaviour and it is par for the course I am afraid. Talk to other moms of kids going through this and you will hear time after time about the sweet, happy, loving child being replaced by a surly stranger for a while. Be patient, also therapy is never wasted and will help you and her through this. Sera

Old 05-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mommaoftwinsplus1 HB Usermommaoftwinsplus1 HB User
Re: Tween Issues... 12 year old daughter

Thank you for the replies. Yes, I do talk to her often about her feelings...however I don't get much info out of her....that's why I thought a therapist might be helpful to open her up a bit. About drugs....I am not seeing any worries there...She knows she can talk to me about anything...but I think it's just her age and hormones that's keeping her withdrawn. Just wondering if other parents go through this. Just knowing your not alone makes all the difference with confidence in handling the situation.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
(female)

karlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB Userkarlee10 HB User
Re: Tween Issues... 12 year old daughter

Hi there. I think this sounds pretty normal, too. 12 years old is a pain sometimes because we sometimes think they're too young for teenage stuff, but really that's the beginning of it all. Sounds normal. I'm glad you don't want to start right off with Ritalin. That's for ADD. (attention deficit disorder) That should be a last ditch resort, my opinion. Try hard to talk with her privately and not push her, but just slowly listening to her. Make yourself available to her and "be there" emotionally as well as physiscally for her.

Reply Reply