It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2004, 06:29 AM   #1

Joanieq HB User
Zocor & Parkinson's

My husband was diagnosed last year with Parkinson's. He is 71 but has always seemed 10-15 years younger that he is. He is taking Sinimet three times a day (recently increased from twice a day). He is under the care of a Nuerologist and I have recently been doing some research on my own. I found out the importance of this because I have a rare form of cancer and most doctors are not familiar with it and I felt I needed to be my own advocate. So far I am doing fine (four years) and now my husband is my concern.

In my research I have found two things of concern:

1. The fact that certain anti-depressants are contraindicated for persons with Parkinson's. One of these is Zoloft and my husband is taking it and his physicians never expresses any concern over that.

2. I have been reading about Coenzyme 10 and it seems that many doctors feel this can help Parkinson's patients. I also have been finding references to the fact that Zocor causes a reduction in the bodies natural production of Coenzyme 10. Could there be any relationship between using Zocor and getting Parkinson's and or the acceleration of Parkinson symptoms.

I would appreciate any comments on these two concerns.

Joanieq

Old 06-09-2004, 01:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User
Re: Zocor & Parkinson's

Hi, don't know about the first one, but i'll look it up for you. Second one Zocor can and does deplete CoQ10. CoQ10 is used for ATP production. CoQ10 is also required for dopamine production. AS low dopamine is found in parkinson's patients I would not take the Zocor, but I would certainly take a CoQ10 supplement. Also has been found that some people are low in magnesium and have something that is called Parkinsonism. (Mother had this). Parkinsonism is not Parkinson's but symptoms that mimic Parkinson's. I'll look up the nutrients depleted by Sinimet for you also. Good luck, Co Q10 is also a powerful antioxident.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2004, 01:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

Hi, i'm back...Sinemet is a combination of Levodopa and Carbidopa, it can deplete potassium. Were no interactons between Zoloft and Sinemet. Zoloft is a serotoninn reuptake inhibitor...Side effects of Sinemet can be muscle cramping , tremor, weakness, change in gait, (walking), ...hmmmm. Zoloft is on a watch list for increased suicical tendencies. (more frequent in adolecents)..., What else , if anything, does you husband take? Are they (and you) sure he has parkinson's ? Maybe parkinsonism? The symptoms are exactly the same. also, if you have a rare form of cancer they CoQ10 would be excellent for you.

Old 06-09-2004, 10:15 AM   #4

Joanieq HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by finres
Hi, i'm back...Sinemet is a combination of Levodopa and Carbidopa, it can deplete potassium. Were no interactons between Zoloft and Sinemet. Zoloft is a serotoninn reuptake inhibitor...Side effects of Sinemet can be muscle cramping , tremor, weakness, change in gait, (walking), ...hmmmm. Zoloft is on a watch list for increased suicical tendencies. (more frequent in adolecents)..., What else , if anything, does you husband take? Are they (and you) sure he has parkinson's ? Maybe parkinsonism? The symptoms are exactly the same. also, if you have a rare form of cancer they CoQ10 would be excellent for you.
Thank you for your very helpful answers. I have found several references to the fact that Zoloft is contraindicated for Parkinson's patients. One is listed below.

[removed]

I am going to discuss both Zoloft and Zocor with his new neurolgist. The only other drug he takes is Hytrin for high blood pressure.

Joanieq

Last edited by Moderator BAC; 06-09-2004 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Do not post websites on this board. Also do not post copyright material. Thank you!

Old 06-09-2004, 01:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

There can be interactions between Zocor and Zoloft, Its by the CYP3A4 channels. The rating was a C, which means that a dosage adjustment may be needed in one or both agents. I did read about the SSRI interactons with Parkinson's. I know they say rare, but sometimes, rare to them is not rare at all. Kind of like ordering a steak...I know what rare is supposed to be, but.... Hytrin didn't show any interactions to any of the medications you mentioned, Sinemet had a possible nutrient depletion of potassium. I bet people get sick of me talking about magnesium, but I just know for a fact they said mother could have parkinson's. She didn't it was low magnesium. Those symptoms left very quickly. Some of the other low magnesium symptoms are slowly but progressively getting better. [removed] take care

Last edited by Moderator BAC; 06-09-2004 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Do not post websites on this board. Read and follow our rules. Thank you!

Old 06-09-2004, 02:01 PM   #6

Joanieq HB User

Thanks for the info. [removed] I do think he has Parkinson's because he has so many of the classic symptoms but there maybe something else going on.

Joanieq

Last edited by Moderator BAC; 06-09-2004 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Do not post websites on this board. Read and follow our rules. Thank you!

Old 08-17-2004, 12:51 PM   #7

teddyb HB User

what are the side effects of carbidopa?

Old 07-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
(male)

davos HB User

It is ironic that zocor has been a cholesterol statin med which is beneficial for stalling progression of parkinson's. i take the generic SIMVASTATIN.
amazing i got a year supply locally for $10.75.

statins deplete coQ10. the newest form of coQ10 is UBIQUINOL.
A study found 1200 mg coQ10 does not help symptoms but slows progression of PD. a study is in progress using more than l200mg.
UBIQUINOL is 8 times more bioavailable than regular coQ10.

UBIQUINOL 60 l00mg ( equal to 800 mg ) $24 mail order. it can be much more expensive.

a hypertension med dynacirc generic ISRADIPINE a calcium channel blocker is good for high blood pressure and PD. 5mg 30 for $53 local.

there is interest in CREATINE being studied. inexpensive.

MUCUNA is another non prescription product getting a lot of attention.
inexpensive.

researching the last three items i haven't found dosage information.
consult your neurologist. i have a wonderful neuro but she had never heard of mucuna. i got an ok on ISRADIPINE, CREATINE, and coQ10.

Closed Thread